Get out of bed!

Lately I have been bad.  I was doing so well in the exercise department.  Then I had a busy week.  After that I had a lazy week.  Before I knew it, I was used to not exercising and was not even attempting to get out on a run or a walk.  I wasn’t even trying to make the time.  The thought barely crossed my mind.  It is so easy to get out of a routine, at least for me it is.

This past weekend I had a talk with myself.  The laziness had to end.  So on Monday morning I dragged my tired bones out of bed early and went for a walk.

Here is the view as I left my apartment.  The wires are from the subway that runs in front of my apartment.

When I got to the reservoir, I asked myself why I had been skipping this part of my routine.  It’s so beautiful and quiet this time of day.

The sun started to peek through the trees.

Now the sun is up.

And Miles loved it.

I am happy to report that for past three days I have gotten out of bed to get some exercise and to enjoy nature.

TB Markinson is an American who's recently returned to the US after a seven-year stint in the UK and Ireland. When she isn't writing, she's traveling the world, watching sports on the telly, visiting pubs in New England, or reading. Not necessarily in that order. Her novels have hit Amazon bestseller lists for lesbian fiction and lesbian romance. She cohosts the Lesbians Who Write Podcast (lesbianswhowrite.com) with Clare Lydon. TB also runs I Heart Lesfic (iheartlesfic.com), a place for authors and fans of lesfic to come together to celebrate lesbian fiction.
This entry was posted in Healthy Living and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Get out of bed!

1. Michelle says:

That’s so awesome! I was getting up at 4:30 to be at the gym by 5 AM when they opened, but I got out of the habit too! I was walking w/ a friend around the neighborhood later in the morning, but she went on vacation & I stopped walking! I need to get back into the habit of exercise again too! Great pictures on your walk! I wish I lived that close to some water!

I’m amazed by how easy it is to get out of a habit. They say it takes 3 weeks to form a new habit and it seems to take a nanosecond to forgot about it. I’m lucky to live close to the reservoir!

2. Lovely views of your reservoir and I love your dog – he seems so happy!

3. Carl V. says:

If I would ever be able to give up this ingrained idea that I have to stay up late every night then I would have a much easier time making myself get out of bed in the morning. Because you are absolutely right, that time of the day is so quiet and peaceful. Those who are stirring are usually doing so behind closed doors and the outdoors are peaceful. I’m happy for you that you were able to give yourself that motivational kick in the pants. Now come kick me please. 🙂

Well I hope this kick in the pants lasts for me! We’ll have to wait and see before I try motivating others 🙂 I used to be a night owl, but over the past few years this has drastically changed. I’m not sure if I like it. I feel less productive when I go to bed at 10pm. And it cuts into my reading time. But I have to admit that I like seeing the sunrise.

4. A busy week is always followed by a lazy week for me too so I know how you feel. Great morning shots.

5. cheratomo says:

What a beautiful route to walk.
    Unfortunately in front of my house there are construction workers jackhammering the road. Not exactly conducive to a restful morning walk.
    Also, they did this exact same construction project a year ago. Not well. So they’re redoing it.
    Do it right the first time, eh?

That has been happening on my favorite route to work. In the morning they are jackhammering and making a rather large hole in the street. Then when I walk by at night it looks as though the work is done and the hole is repaired and repaved. But then the next day they are making another hole in the same spot. Why? And if it wasn’t done in the first place why repave it?

6. Seasweetie says:

Good for you! I hope to get back to it soon myself.

I love to get up very early. It is so quiet, see how the colors chnage slowly… Only working out isn’t a top priority but, yes, I should as well.

8. I am glad you woke up early and went for a walk… same stuff happens to me, first I get busy then I get lazy, finding all possible excuses not to go and the next thing you know you’re so deep in the cycle of no exercises that you gotta push yourself hard…. Keep it up! 🙂 BTW, did you try the minute long meditation?

I can come up with a lot of excuses! I haven’t tried the meditation yet. I’ll give it a whirl tonight when I get home. I’ll keep you posted!

9. edwincov says:

Congratulations! Stick to it 🙂

I don’t know why people waste their mornings on most days. I’ve lived in California all my life, and have never seen the sunrise over the ocean until I moved here (Florida) for the summer. I’ve heard that having something to look forward to is enough to get us out of bed; a cup of coffee, breakfast, meeting up with someone.. and I think I found my reason to wake up early: THE SUNRISE!

Woo hoo!

Edwin

I’ll do my best to stick with it! I’m from California too and I really don’t remember the sunrises. Now I saw many sunsets at Laguna Beach. The sunrise is a great reason to get up. I even try to watch the sunrise when I travel. Such a beautiful start to the day!

10. hugmamma says:

Sounds like the same conversation I have with myself…especially recently. Thank goodness for walks with my buddy, Mocha. She doesn’t take “no” for an answer. She sits as I blog waiting patiently, or impatiently, for the moment when I push back my chair, walk down the hall, and open “her” drawer…

then there’s no turning back…out the door we go… 🙂

11. Robin says:

Lovely photos of a beautiful morning. I was just writing a similar post (which I’ll post later today), at least in terms of getting up early. I don’t know why I sleep in and miss all that beauty.

I’m looking forward to your post today. It is quite beautiful in the morning. And this morning was much cooler and not so humid!