Sweet Morning

On Sunday night I was reading Dracula, by Bram Stoker, before going to bed and I came across these lines:

“No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and how dear to his heart and eye the morning can be.  When the sun grew so high this morning that it struck the top of the great gateway opposite my window, the high spot which it touched seemed to be as if the dove from the ark had lighted there.  My fear fell from me as if it had been a vaporous garment which dissolved in the warmth.”

On my walk the next morning I watched the sunrise and thought of poor Jonathan Harker trapped inside Dracula’s castle.

I am not very far in the novel, but I hope Harker will see more sunrises.

TB Markinson is an American who's recently returned to the US after a seven-year stint in the UK and Ireland. When she isn't writing, she's traveling the world, watching sports on the telly, visiting pubs in New England, or reading. Not necessarily in that order. Her novels have hit Amazon bestseller lists for lesbian fiction and lesbian romance. She cohosts the Lesbians Who Write Podcast (lesbianswhowrite.com) with Clare Lydon. TB also runs I Heart Lesfic (iheartlesfic.com), a place for authors and fans of lesfic to come together to celebrate lesbian fiction.
This entry was posted in Books and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Sweet Morning

1. Carl v. says:

Great picture! With the light such as it is you can almost picture the structure in the background to be a creepy ol’ castle.

I so hope you love Dracula but I’ll state for the record right now that I will be perfectly okay if you don’t, or if you don’t love it as much as I do. I wish I had the time to buddy read it with you right now because I would love to do a Dune-level Q&A back and forth with you. I know from experience that I see things in Dracula that I rarely if ever see anyone else noticing, and that is just because of what I bring to the story with my beliefs, etc. Added to that the fact that I was 11 or 12 the first time I read it and so I still see it on some levels from those eyes.

I’ve re-read Dracula more than any other book, I think, other than the first couple of Stainless Steel Rat books from which I derive the inspiration for my blog name. I think I mentioned before that it is my #1 favorite novel. (Neverwhere by Gaiman is #2 and then it is pretty much a tie for wide variety of novels).

If you feel like chatting about it along the way, feel free to post or send me an email. If you don’t, no pressure. I want you to just enjoy the read. It is a novel I love talking about, is all. 🙂

I also thought you could kinda see a castle. So far I am loving the book, but I’m not very far. Too bad you can’t read along. I am reading this with another blogger which will be fun. But I would love to chat along the way as well. Look for emails from me! I would love to get your input.

I remember you saying this is your fave. Mine is The Great Gatsby. I’ve read that book so many times that I can’t keep count anymore. Everytime I read it, I see something I’ve missed. The novel is from the time period that I studied during college and I just love it.

I hope to make a dent in the novel this weekend so I’ll be in touch. Thanks so much for the offer to talk about it!

Wonderful photograph! Sunrise and sunset are always very special moments…. and I always remember the film, Dersu Uzala; The Hunter. He says that the sun is a man, without sun nothing can be alive… But in his nature life in the forest, everything is a man… 🙂 Anyway, I can see how inspired you the book that you are reading… Your blog actually makes me so excited about the books, maybe in the future I can catch you about the books for to talk… Thank you, have a nice and enjoyable times, with my love, nia

Thanks Nia! I haven’t see that movie. I’ll have to check it out. Great quote! I would love to discuss some books with you. That would be a lot of fun.

3. Lovely photo! And a brilliant book! Hope you enjoy the rest of it.

4. I didn’t enjoy Dracula the first time I read it but I’m listening to it in audio book, and I’m really enjoying the story.
    The quote is beautiful.

5. Saisri says:

Dracula! I read it long time back and I found the beginning to be really slow. But I loved it from the middle and I hope you like it too 🙂 The descriptions of the castle, the Count, the whole eerie setting is so good that you can so vividly picturize them.

It isn’t a castle I would like to stay in that’s for sure! So far I’ve really enjoyed the book. Hopefully that will continue.

• Saisri says:

Yes, I echo your thoughts about the castle. I saw the movie Nosferatu (one of the earliest, or even the first adaptations of Dracula) sometime back. If you are interested in the old silent movies you might like it. I liked the way the creepy Count and the castle were picturized in the movie.

6. Great image.
    Is that the Quabbin?

No I wish though since the Quabbin is massive. I live near the Chestnut Hill Reservoir, which is much smaller than the Quabbin. But it is still beautiful to stroll around.

7. TBM says:

Hi Saisri. I actually requested that movie last week and I’m waiting for it to come in. Everyone has been suggesting this movie. I can’t wait to see it!

8. amybrailey says:

Love the idea! I’m an avid reader myself, love movies, and have visited at least 18 countries. (I always said 23, but when I count, I keep coming up with 18…) I also recently read Dracula and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Hope you’re enjoying your quest. I also had an amazing time in England a few years back. Have a blast!

18 countries is a good start! I am having fun on my adventure. Hopefully I’ll be in England soon…just finishing the planning for it. Thanks for visiting.