Teaser Tuesday (Aug. 30)

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

Grab your current read

Open to a random page

Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page

BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)

Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teaser!

This week I have two teasers.  One from the novel I’m reading and one from the nonfiction work I’m reading.  Enjoy!

“This was an unnecessary injunction, at present; for Emily was too certain, that her call would avail her nothing; and terror had so entirely disordered her thoughts, that she knew not how to plead to Morano, but sat, mute and trembling, in her chair, till he advanced to lift her from it, when she suddenly raised herself, and, with a repulsive gesture, and a countenance of forced serenity, said, “Count Morano! I am now in your power; but you will observe, that this is not the conduct which can win the esteem you appear so solicitous to obtain, and that you are preparing for yourself a load of remorse, in the miseries of a friendless orphan, which can never leave you.  Do you believe your heart to be, indeed, so hardened, that you can look without emotion on the suffering, to which you would condemn me?”

Pg. 245, The Mysteries of Udolpho, by Ann Radcliffe

“Human beings are what scholars refer to as homo religious: we are by nature inclined to look outside ourselves and beyond time and space to a divine power (or, as in antiquity, powers) that creates, directs, and judges the world and our individual lives.  “All men,” said Homer, “need the gods.”

Pg 14, American Gospel: God, The Founding Fathers, and the Making of a Nation, by Jon Mecham.

This entry was posted in Boston and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

74 Responses to Teaser Tuesday (Aug. 30)

1. Wow – your American Gospel teaser is really interesting. That sounds like a fascinating book!
    I like your balance of a fiction and non-fiction read!!

2. Alice Audrey says:

I have always meant to read this. I found a copy in a college library years ago, but didn’t have a chance to do more than read a paragraph or two.

3. Melissa says:

Love the second teaser! Both very interesting picks! Thanks for stopping by my blog:)

Teaser Tuesdays

♥ Melissa @ Melissa’s Eclectic Bookshelf

4. The Word Jar says:

Those are two fascinating teasers! The first is so dramatic. And I’ve been meaning to read Meacham’s biography of Andrew Jackson, but this may be more interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Here’s my teaser:

5. Great teasers. The first has a really long sentence, but it’s interesting. And I’m intrigued by the second teaser from American Gospel book – I am going to have to read this one. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

I didn’t realize how long the first sentence was until I started typing it. I would suggest American Gospel. Thanks for stopping by.

6. the witch of theatregoing says:

Loved both of these teasers! And the one about religion is so very true. ❤

My TT for the week: http://witchoftheatregoing.wordpress.com/2011/08/30/teaser-tuesday-%E2%99%A1-%E2%80%93-week-26/

Great teasers!
    My book is nonfiction: Pg. 4, The Vein of Gold, by Julia Cameron
    “The vein of gold in every life is located in the heart of that life.”
    “As we travel further and further into our own interiors, we will be taking the dross of our lives — the disappointments, wounds, and burdens — and we will make them into gold through the power of creativity.”

8. Carl v. says:

The Mysteries of Udolpho is one of those gothic books on my list that I really should have gotten to by now. I’ve heard really good things and look forward to your review (if you do one). I also look forward to you doing a review of Dracula (strong hint).

Looks like your reading is taking you right into the R.I.P. season!!!

I’ll give you two quotes from what I am currently reading, The Magicians by Lev Grossman:

I am almost finished with The Magicians by Lev Grossman. Still not entirely sure what I think about it. A lot will depend on how this first book in the series ends.

I’m enjoying the Mysteries of Udolpho. And I may review it for R.I.P. It is a lot longer than I anticipated so it may work. My buddy I am reading Dracula with is ill so I am waiting for her to recover so we can discuss the book. I wish her well. And I’m excited to discuss it with you! What a great book!

I’m excited for R.I.P this year. My first time.

Oh…and I’m curious about the Magicians. I hope you end up liking it!

• Carl v. says:

It is weird because I am liking it and yet am frustrated with the characters at the same time. Grossman is a good writer though. It reminds me in some ways of how I felt about Audrey Niffenegger’s book, Her Fearful Symmetry. I was gaga over The Time Traveler’s Wife and while I think that structurally HFS is an incredible achievement, I hated the choices the characters made. It wasn’t the story I wanted it to be. I don’t yet feel that way about The Magicians, and since I know it is just the first book I don’t yet know how critical of it I will be. Thus far its been a page turner. We’ll see how I feel if I finish it tonight.

Have you looked at my recent Group Reads post? I am curious if any of those are interesting to you, in part because I am tempted to go way off the rails and suggest that we group read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman during the challenge. It is more of a fantasy book but does have some darker elements that feel RIPish to me and its been forever since I’ve read it. Just a thought. I’m equally excited about the other three group reads I am hosting.

9. Aleksandra says:

Great reviews! I really should read The Mysteries of Udolpho 🙂 Happy reading!

10. Very thought-provoking! Thanks for sharing….

Here’s MY TT POST

11. TBM says:

Hi Carl. I did look at the group reads. All of them sound great. I need to look at my schedule. I know I can’t do the first one since I will be gearing up to hop the pond during that time. I’ll have to look into my time and such for the others. I should have internet up and running for the third one. I’m hoping I can join the second one as well, but I haven’t even been to my new apartment yet so I need to figure out the internet and everything.

If you add another one it would be really tempting since I may have to skip at least one. And I’m shocked that it is a Gaiman book. Shocked!

12. Love the cover art on the Ann Radcliffe book!
    Thanks for stopping by mine!

13. Your American Gospel teaser has convinced me: I need to read this book. (Okay, I probably would have read it from the title alone. American history AND religious history all at once? Sign me up.)

14. Valentina says:

They both looks very interesting in their own way 🙂

15. Amy says:

I almost started The Mysteries of Udolpho this morning but decided on a non-fiction read instead. I think this is my next book though. Great teasers!

16. Carol says:

Great teasers. I love the first – so dramatic.

17. Shari says:

I must say that first teaser has the longest sentence I think that I have ever read LOL!!!
    Seriously though, great teasers. Have a wonderful week!
    Shari

18. Candace says:

The Mysteries of Udolpho, wow, that was an AWESOME teaser! What amazing writing! I could really hear her voice!
    The second one, oh so true!

19. Louisa says:

That first one is pretty long! And interesting! And I wish that we humans weren’t so religious, then maybe we wouldn’t have as many wars in the past and the presnt (I think) but maybe not. After all, we are human beings and human beings fight and argue. Yep 😛

20. pk @ aisle b says:

I love the first teaser! Now I have to seek this book out next – excellent choice.

21. Peggy says:

Hmm, interesting! Thanks for stopping by!

22. cecilia says:

great teasers! thanks for stopping by!

23. Mirka says:

The American Gospel teaser is great. Never read it but after a teaser like this… Thanks for stopping by. 🙂

24. Seasweetie says:

Hope to get to post my Teaser before midnight. What is R.I.P.?

25. Sara says:

Thanks for stopping by. I like your teaser.

Happy Reading!

26. The Golden Eagle says:

I’m intrigued by the first teaser–I’ve never heard of the book or author before. The second makes an interesting point.

Thank you for coming by my blog!

Hello. I’m reading the first one for the Gothic Reading Challenge. And I’m reading the second one because I love history. Thanks for stopping by.

27. Awesome teasers. The first is so intriguing. I have not heard of it but have now added it. The second is so true! I love history too so I am going to add this to my NF TBR.

I’m at http://www.alaskanbookcafe.com/ Hope you can stop by!

28. Laurie T says:

Wow, that first tease was intense and long. Both are very interesting! Nice to have one fiction, one non.

29. Wow, you’ve made me really intrigued with Teaser Tuesday – we should think about varying our Book Talk Tuesday meme with this one. Looks really fun. Good luck on your nonfiction reading!

30. KeishaShippy says:

I’m really intrigued by the first teaser–it sounds really interesting! But I’m not sure I would have the patience to read it, the writing style seems very different from what I normally read. Then again, reading something new and different is the fun of loving books!

31. T.F.Walsh says:

Love the teasers you select…

32. Lauren says:

I love a classic – great teaser.
    Thanks for stopping by.

33. Claire says:

Love the teasers 🙂 The Mysteries of Udolpho just got moved up my TBR, it sounds awesome! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Claire @ Project to be Read

34. Christin says:

Great teasers! The Mysteries of Udolpho sounds like a really good read!

Thanks for stopping by my TT 🙂

35. Two interesting teasers!