Good news and bad news

The good news is that we finally purchased a TV.  For the past few years we have thought about buying a new TV.  On several occasions we went to the store, talked to a clerk, and picked out a TV.  Then we would start to think.  The money we spent on a TV would pay for a trip someplace.  So on one occasion we went to Barcelona.

Another time we were in the store and when it was time to pull the trigger and pay for the TV we started to talk again.  We went to the Dominican Republic instead.  Both of us love to travel.  Yes our old TV was crap.  We hated it.  The picture wasn’t clear and watching DVDs on it was a nightmare.  But it still worked.  Neither one of us wanted to invest the money into a new TV until we had to.   The money could be spent on other things.

One time it was lucky that we didn’t buy a TV since our cat had an emergency trip to the vet.  Those visits always add up quickly.  In the photo, you can see that they had to shave one of his legs for his IV.  He recovered completely from this illness and we didn’t have to stress too much and attempt to return the TV.

Then we moved to England.  American TVs don’t work in the UK.  Good thing we didn’t spend a small fortune in the US on a TV.  Sometimes procrastination pays off.  We finally had to buy a new TV.  Briefly we considered living without a TV.  This dream was quite brief.   We wanted to purchase a TV before we signed up for internet since we wanted to bundle cable and broadband.  Last Sunday we went to the store and within two hours our new TV was delivered to our apartment.  Since we had been shopping so long for a TV we knew what we wanted so the decision did not take long.

Currently we only have 4 channels.  After calling to set up an appointment to have internet and cable setup we found out that the earliest appointment is on October 20th.  That’s the bad news.  We still won’t be up and running completely until the 20th.  The bright side is that we will get out of the house more.  So when I am finally blogging on a regular basis I will be able to share some of our adventures.

As for now, I have to come to the pub to access the internet.  So sad sitting here, drinking a Guinness, catching up on email and blogs.  Maybe I can delay the appointment on the 20th.

This entry was posted in Everyday life and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Good news and bad news

Oh, lovely cat, I am glad she is fine now, you know I have cat too, and I can almost understand you what you felt. And yesssssss, these new TVs… we lived this decision perion a few years ago… I am glad you have a new one now. Bless your lovely cat, Thank you, with my love, nia

Hi Nia! Cats are so much fun to have. I am so relieved that Atticus made a full recovery. I hope all is well and when I get internet back I’ll do my best to catch up with your blog.

Hmmmm…..at the pub having a Guinness…..that part alone doesn’t sound bad. Good luck on getting the internet access.

Thanks! It is proving more difficult than we thought it would be. Not sure why it is so hard to get service set up, but I hope it will be done with soon. Hope all is well.

3. I don’t really watch TV, but I quite like it in the corner of my flat. I don’t have any channels though, because I have no aerial or anything, so I sometimes just watch DVDs on it through my laptop. Good Luck with the 20th October. Remember the pub will always be there!!

I have to admit that I am addicted to TV. We really considered going without but we decided that we didn’t want to. Good for you for not caving into it! I wish I was stronger.

4. Jo Bryant says:

Blogging from the pub – sounds about perfect to me…

It is almost perfect…the connection is frustrating though. If it didn’t take ten minutes to log on for five minutes it would be fantastic. Hope all is well!

5. IsobelandCat says:

🙂
    I don’t think my television would have covered the cost to either of the destinations you name…
    But seriously, only four channels? That doesn’t sound right. Have you tuned it in?
    Mind you, before our channels proliferated like wasps round a jam jar, the quality of the programmes was much better. Now it’s cheap stuff; ‘reality’ shows and the like that run non-stop.

Have you discovered radio 4 yet?

Surprisingly both of the trips we found were extremely cheap. For the Barcelona trip I was playing around on the internet and found very cheap airfare. And we went when it was blistering hot. If it wasn’t for that, we couldn’t have gone on the trip.

Now we have more channels…but I agree with you. What’s with all the reality shows? I like them to a certain extent, but all of the time is a bit much.

I’ll have to look into radio 4. Now I’m excited to find out what it is!

• IsobelandCat says:

Reality shows are cheap to make. Drama is expensive. That’s about it really.
        Radio 4 is a BBC radio station that has news, comedy, plays, debates, discussions. It’s a treasure trove. If you like humour, check out the 6.30 pm slot. Fridays is the News Quiz at the moment, which is not as dry as it sounds.

6. I don´t watch much tv, but I think it would be hard to live without one. And in the meantime, enjoy the pub and the Guinness!

7. T.F.Walsh says:

What a cute putty cat…. I also don’t watch too much TV – I have favorite TV shows I’ll tape but aside from that I don’t watch other things..

I wish I could hate TV and not watch it all. But I’m weak. Also, I’m enjoying watching shows that are popular here. Most of them I’ve never heard of them. It is an interesting way to get to know the place. I enjoy a lot of the travel shows around here.

8. Robin says:

lol! Such a hardship… 😉

I didn’t know US TV couldn’t work in UK…I thought all TVs are same.
    good luck on the net connection 😉

10. Carl V. says:

That is sad, but it is now only a little over a week away. You are really, really missed. 🙂

Hi Carl! I’m really missing staying in touch with everyone. And now they say they won’t come until Nov. 1st. I have no clue why there is such a wait. I’ll do my best over the next couple of weeks to stay in better contact, but the connections in the pubs aren’t that great. I hope all is well on your end. And can’t wait to catch up!!!!!!

11. Carol says:

Blogging in the pub doesn’t sounds too bad, but I’m sure it gets old.

It does get old when the connection is such a difficult process. I got spoiled by having internet at home and accessible whenever I wanted it. Soon.

Hope all is well!

12. IsobelandCat says:

Are you waiting for BT? Good luck!!!

Hi Isobel. We are waiting for Sky. They hooked up the TV but the phone and internet won’t be until Nov. 1st. I’ll look into radio 4….sounds like I would love it! Thanks for the tip!!!!!

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )