First day out

The move to London was quite chaotic at first.  On our first free day we headed out for our first adventure to visit Camden Town.  We hopped onto the Tube at Earls Court.  While on the Tube we found out that the Tube line that we needed was not operating.  So we quickly changed plans and boarded a bus and headed to our first stop of the day, Euston Station.  Outside of this station is an establishment we wanted to visit.  One thing you may want to know about us is that when we go sightseeing, we like to blend seeing the sights with eating and drinking.  Before heading to the first stop, we picked up a couple of sandwiches and fruit for lunch.

The Euston Tap only serves alcohol.

Most of the beers here are specialty beers.  Here is one that we sampled.

Not only was the brew delicious I learned a new phrase.  According to the label, Kill Your Darlings is a phrase used by writers when they have to cut loved characters or scenes that don’t aid with the flow of the story.

After eating a fortifying lunch we started to walk towards Camden Town, located in northwest London.  In 1791 it started out as a residential district.  Later, the location was integral in the beginning stages of the railwaysIn addition, the Regent’s Canal cuts through part of the town.  Early on, this canal helped foster trade.  Years ago, building materials and coal were the mainstays of Camden trade.  Today, Camden Town is a hip area.   Many famous people have connections to the town.  The actor Orlando Bloom has a home there.  In the 1990s, Morrissey, the singer, lived in Camden Town.  Also, Amy Winehouse grew up in Camden.  This past July she was found dead in her Camden Square home.  Also, Charles Dickens lived in Camden Town at one time and then included the area in some of his works, including A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, and Dombey and Son.

1973 marked the start of the Camden Markets.  These include Inverness Market, Camden Market, and Camden Lock Village.  You can find boots, t-shirts, artwork, food, books, cds, dvds, tattoos, piercings, and many other oddities.  It is a fun atmosphere as long as you don’t mind crowds.

Even if you aren’t in the mood to shop, it is still fun to wander around and to people watch.

And the buildings are fun to look at.

The Regent’s Canal is beautiful.

Of course, I found a bookstore.  Unfortunately for the store, the sign outside said that it was going out of business.  It is always sad for me to see a bookstore go out of business. However, it doesn’t stop me from popping in and taking advantage of the bargain prices. These are the books I picked up.

Before heading home, we stopped for more food and drinks.  All in all, it was a fantastic day.  We enjoyed seeing the area, indulging in good food and drinks, and we couldn’t have asked for better weather.

This entry was posted in London and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to First day out

1. Beth Ann says:

What a great post showing a bit of your life right now!!! Great pictures—I felt as if I was there!!! The stack of books looks awesome and I bet you got some great buys!!! Will definitely look forward to the next post!!! 🙂

Thanks! I think you would love it here. The canal is beautiful! It is such a fun place to wander around.

I’m really excited to read the books, which I’m hoping will be soon.

I didn’t know the expression “Kill your Darlings”. These photos make miss big city feeling… It can be tiring but is great as well.
    You got yourself some really chunky books there. It looks like Dickens project was upcoming. 🙂

I hadn’t heard of the expression either. London is a lot bigger than Boston. I think living in Boston first helped ease me into big city life. It can be overwhelming but so far I’m loving it.

I am planning a Dickens/Austen project for 2012. I have a couple of more books to pick up. Since I am living in England, I thought it would be best to tackle the authors from the area that are on my list. I’m a little worried about reading all ten of Dickens books on the list in a year. We’ll see how I do.

3. Palm Trees & Bare Feet says:

Oh, those buildings were so cool and the canal was really pretty! Looked like you had a good time!

Loved all your pictures! Great post! 🙂

Thanks! I loved the buildings. They are a fun way to draw in the tourists and trust me there were a lot of tourist there that day. I wonder if it stays that busy during the off months. I’ll have to find out.

4. Grace says:

Beautiful pictures! Those store fronts look so interesting!

Bargain books are always an excellent find. 😀

Thanks Grace. I do love finding bargain books, but I wish the reason was a good old fashion sale and not another bookstore going out of business.

This is absolutely a wonderful post, dear TBM. There are a lot of things I enjoyed so much. But but but there is something especially that fascinated me; the building with the cat!!!!! I loved it so much… what a nice idea… And boats… and your menu! and books… As I explained in my reply for your comment on my blog today, I try to classical novels again for my own library, (because many years ago I donated my classical books to a village library, but I have never thought that one day I would like to read them again) I share this with you, because I am looking for Ann Radcliffe and Jane Austen’s books, I want to read them again (to remember) and to share with you. I hope I can do this. Your books are so nice, and should be read… I read them many years ago, it is like a thousand years ago (am I so older like that 🙂 ) but yes, this is another calling me by these classical books… Wonderful photographs you captured too. Thank you so much, I am glad to hear that your days turn normal, the move a house and to change an address it always takes time. Blessing and Happiness, with my love, nia

Hi Nia! I loved the building with the cat on it. That was so nice of you to donate your books. I hope you find the books you are looking for so we can discuss them. Moving can be difficult, but I love our new apartment and city so it was worth it. Happy hunting for the books!

Enjoyed your post and the photos! I like the charm of those buildings. I didn’t expect to see a KFC amongst them, but fast food restaurants seem to be everywhere.

I’ve seen a lot of KFCs here. It is odd, when I lived in Boston, there weren’t too many fast food places near my apartment. Here in London, there is a McDonald’s and KFC right down the street. Like you, I wasn’t expecting that at all.

7. Meredith says:

I miss you guys so much and cannot wait to come visit and explore some of these places with you two! Looks like you are having a lot of fun.

8. Looks like a good day out. While you’re here try to check out Borough Market if you haven’t already, a foodies paradise!

9. Kristina says:

Love Camden! So much fun! I tried to read The tale of two cities by Charles Dickens, but haven’t finished, will have to read it again 🙂

Camden is a trip. So much to see and the people watching is fantastic! Tale of Two Cities is on my reading list for 2012. I’ll let you know if I like it.

10. Ah London! Green with envy here! 😉

Lovely pics! Three books by Dickens. Very good haul, I’d say.

I’m loving London! And I’m super excited to read the novels by Dickens. Actually, I picked up a used copy of a biography on Dickens yesterday. There are so many used booksellers here it is amazing!

11. Robin says:

Those fun buildings remind me of South Street in Philadelphia.

It looks like it was a great outing. I think the eating and drinking are some of the best parts of sightseeing. 🙂

I loved the buildings. I’m a sucker for those things. Eating and drinking does enhance my sightseeing experiences. We both love to have fun, which is the most important part. I hope all is well!