Travel photo of the day (Nov. 16)

We saw this elephant along the Zambezi River.

TB Markinson is an American who's recently returned to the US after a seven-year stint in the UK and Ireland. When she isn't writing, she's traveling the world, watching sports on the telly, visiting pubs in New England, or reading. Not necessarily in that order. Her novels have hit Amazon bestseller lists for lesbian fiction and lesbian romance. She cohosts the Lesbians Who Write Podcast (lesbianswhowrite.com) with Clare Lydon. TB also runs I Heart Lesfic (iheartlesfic.com), a place for authors and fans of lesfic to come together to celebrate lesbian fiction.
This entry was posted in Africa, Travel and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Travel photo of the day (Nov. 16)

1. Meredith says:

Wow! Great pic!! PS. Have you seen or read Water for Elephants? Its good.

2. xandimusic says:

Fantastic photo TBM !
    and thanks for all your likes… 🙂

3. What a truly majestic creature! I just love elephants. You are very lucky to have taken a trip like that. Great photo!

Love the closeup photo!

This is so beautiful… Whenever I watch an elephant I remember the same thing. You know when you caress a cat, she/he starts to make a sound but it shows us how she is happy. (To be honest what is this in this language I don’t know, I would be glad to learn it) anyway, once I asked to one of wild photographers in here, do they make the same thing as cats, these big cats? His reply was unforgetable for me, he said yes, and even elephants too! Especially when you are riding an elephant, it was amazing…you feel this. He said. I think this should be so beautiful… Elephants are so beautiful too… And in your photograph talking with me this elephant… “What a wonderful day”… Thank you dear TBM, with my love, nia

Thanks Nia. I’ve never thought that an elephant purrs like a cat. That’s pretty cool. I completely agree, elephants are gorgeous. Have a wonderful day Nia!!!!!!!!

6. T.F.Walsh says:

What an awesome photo…. and close up

7. When I opened the blog and saw this great picture I thought to myself…London has changed since I was last there. But, then I read your caption.

8. That’s a great photo, looks like quite an elderly elephant. I went to the Zambezi back in 1999 sadly before I had a decent camera so my pics are pretty hopeless.

9. deslily says:

nothing I can say but that it’s a fantastic photo!! Things like that you get once in a lifetime!

10. IsobelandCat says:

Wonderful creature.
    BTW are you Christmasing in London?

We haven’t decided yet about Christmas. Are you? Do you have any tips for festive things to do?

• IsobelandCat says:

Yes, I think I shall be.
        For me, Christmas starts with the Nine Lessons and Carols at St Bartholomew the Great, http://wp.me/pMKim-mT but I know St Margaret’s Westminster (by the Abbey) also does a fine version.

Avoid Trafalgar Square 31st December – it’s only for tourists. I’ve never met a single London resident who goes there.

The museums and galleries often have special events at Christmas, and it’s always worth checking out the South Bank and the National Theatre. Also the Globe.
        Take in a panto or two. You may have a local AmDramsSoc who do one, but there are loads. Mulled wine in pubs, lots and lots and lots of Christmas fairs and artists’ open studios, mainly the first weekend in December.

Pre-Christmas walks in thge countryside, and if December is cold and bright, it’s the perfect time to visit the Tower. It’s quiet as everyone else is Christmas shopping, you can take all the Yeoman Warders tours and spend the whole day there.

11. Kristina says:

Waw, that’s a lovely picture! Beautiful animal 🙂

12. IsobelandCat says:

Oh and I forgot, if you like singing, there is usually the opportunity to take part in singing The Messiah. Look out for Messiah in a day ads.
    And on the subject of the Tower, you can always go to midnight communion there on Christmas Eve at the church of St Peter Ad Vincula inside the Tower. You have to wait at the gates and a Yeoman Warder will escort you through the Tower precincts.

I have been noticing that the holidays are big here. I see in all the pubs signup lists for Christmas dinner. I was in Soho last night and the holiday lights were up. And there is a Christmas exhibit at Earls Court II today. I didn’t go in, but I walked by it this morning with my dog. In the States the festivities start to gear up around Thanksgiving, which is the last Thursday in November. I’m surprised by how early it starts here. I don’t know if it always starts this early here. I saw on the news that Oxford Street put up the lights early to help encourage more shopping since they are nervous about people not spending money during this hard economic time.

Thanks for all the tips. The Tower sounds amazing on Christmas Eve. I’ll have to keep an eye out for special events. It is pretty exciting to be in a new country for the holidays. And I tried mulled wine yesterday and loved it.