Tent City Update

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about the Tent City outside of St. Paul’s Cathedral.  Last night I saw on the news that eviction notices had been placed on all the tents by the City of London Corporation.  The protesters have to clear out by tonight.  Many of the protesters ripped off the notices as soon as they were attached to their tents.  If they do not leave the corporation will take the issue to the High Court to ask for the legal means to evict the protestors.  I hope for a peaceful resolution.   Only time will tell.  I will be watching the news tonight to see what happens.

TB Markinson is an American who's recently returned to the US after a seven-year stint in the UK and Ireland. When she isn't writing, she's traveling the world, watching sports on the telly, visiting pubs in New England, or reading. Not necessarily in that order. Her novels have hit Amazon bestseller lists for lesbian fiction and lesbian romance. She cohosts the Lesbians Who Write Podcast (lesbianswhowrite.com) with Clare Lydon. TB also runs I Heart Lesfic (iheartlesfic.com), a place for authors and fans of lesfic to come together to celebrate lesbian fiction.
This entry was posted in London and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Tent City Update

1. lucyfurleaps says:

I hope it stays peaceful too. I expect there will be a court battle… brave people up there.

I hope peacefully it goes to end… I’ll try to watch BBC news too, tonight, I wonder now. Have a nice day dear TBM, with my love, nia

3. Palm Trees & Bare Feet says:

Please keep us updated and let us know what happens. I too hope that nothing bad happens and that it all ends peacefully.

4. Jo Bryant says:

At least they are not doing what the Americans are – coming in at 2 am, tearing everything down, grabbing people…

Looks like it is getting nasty in the US. The deadline has passed here, but from what I’ve heard, the issue is heading to the High Court. So far it is still peaceful here. And it will take some time to sort out. We’ll see.

5. Hanna says:

I hope for a peaceful solution. You take care of yourself over there, eh…

6. Grace says:

Things are still getting interesting here. The NY branch of the protest were evicted, and the OWS Library was largely destroyed. Its a sad day when the police think nothing of destroying thousands of books to make a point. However, the protests seem to have sprung back up stronger than ever despite the eviction… I’m in the DC area though, and thus far what I’ve seen/heard around here seems to be relatively peaceful.

Thanks for the update Grace. It saddens me that the library was destroyed. Did they (the police) give an explanation as to why they took that route? That seems completely unnecessary to me. And it doesn’t bode well for the future. The protesters seem committed to their cause here, but I just don’t think the other side really cares. I would love to see some changes to the system, but right now I only get the sense that the people in power say they are listening just to look good on TV and aren’t attempting to make any changes. I hope I am wrong.

• Grace says:

They kicked the media out before the raid… then they claimed not to have destroyed the books, despite the fact that people were tweeting/blogging that they were throwing the books in dumpsters. Then the mayor came out and said that they were holding the books in a warehouse and that they were intact, but when the librarians went to pick them up less than half of the books were present… it was sad.

7. Kristina says:

I hope too that all this ends up in a peaceful manner! London has seen too much recently 🙂

I know. I wasn’t here during the riots but I followed it closely since my better half was here. It would be nice if both sides could work together to improve things.

8. TBM says:

Hi Grace. Thanks for the update on the library. I just don’t understand why they thought it was necessary. And it must really hurt you since you are an aspiring librarian. Also, even though they kicked out the media, in today’s world they have to know that they will always be watched. Most people have access to twitter and other social media. Will they replace the books? Were these city library books? Do you know if tax dollars pay for books purchased by city libraries? I guess I never thought about it before.

• Grace says:

They weren’t city library books, they were all donated. Part of it was to give the people who came from out of town to the protests something to read, and a bunch of librarians and library students got together and cataloged the collection. It made me angry that someone could be so callous toward books… so far nothing has been replaced. Luckily even without the mainstream media, people still have cell phones and can take video. I don’t think it was the mainstream video that took the pictures of the peaceful students getting pepper sprayed in CA.

I’ve seen some of the footage and it turns my stomach. Thanks so much for the information. I feel a little disconnected over here even though I have access to the internet and TV. It is nice to hear what is really going on. So far in London things have stayed peaceful, but they are gearing up for a court battle. Who knows how long that will take.

9. Hanna says:

This scared me :(. I hope none of this happens where you live.

All the best
    Hanna

So far I haven’t heard of any violence in London. I know that the case in London is heading to the High Court. The footage in this video is disturbing. You would think that there could be a peaceful solution and that the police wouldn’t have to use violence. I hope for the best for everyone.

Thanks for the video!