My First Time

When we decided to move to London I was excited to experience so many things, including seeing the architecture, the homes of famous writers, museums, palaces, the Thames. There is so much here that it would be impossible to name them all.  And both of us love sports, especially football.  On November 12 we headed to Wembley Stadium to watch our first football match in London.   Wembley seats 90,000 and is the second largest stadium in Europe.

As we got off the Tube at Wembley Park the excitement increased.  We joined the masses and headed to the stadium to watch England v. Spain.

The teams came out of the locker room and prepared for the match.

Before I knew it, the action started.

England won 1-0.

As we left the stadium I was able to appreciate the Wembley Arch above the pitch.  This arch is 317 metres and is the longest single span roof structure in the world.

The match was fantastic and the atmosphere was great.  It was a great night.

TB Markinson is an American who's recently returned to the US after a seven-year stint in the UK and Ireland. When she isn't writing, she's traveling the world, watching sports on the telly, visiting pubs in New England, or reading. Not necessarily in that order. Her novels have hit Amazon bestseller lists for lesbian fiction and lesbian romance. She cohosts the Lesbians Who Write Podcast (lesbianswhowrite.com) with Clare Lydon. TB also runs I Heart Lesfic (iheartlesfic.com), a place for authors and fans of lesfic to come together to celebrate lesbian fiction.
This entry was posted in London, Sports and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to My First Time

1. That sounds like a great deal of fun…

The Wembley looks stunning!!!
    I would love to be there one day…to see music concert not football 😉

3. The Hook says:

Great title! Glad you had the time of your life!

WOW! I can almost imagine the ambience of this great stadium. My love wanted to be there too when we were in UK, but we couldn’t, maybe next time. He always watches the football matches… But to be there, to watch the game in this stadium should be something different and amazing. I am glad you did this set, I will show my love 🙂 Thank you dear TBM, have a nice day, with my love, nia

I hope you two get a chance to go. It is amazing to watch football in person. The athletes are fantastic and it is inspiring to see them. And the stadium is great.

5. Still haven´t been to the new Wembley Stadium although I saw plenty of concerts at the old one…the Stones, Springsteen, Madonna, Status Quo, Queen…what an old rocket I am! Shame (for us) that Spain lost 😦 but good for you (honorary Brit!) that England won 🙂

You saw some pretty good concerts there. Don’t feel too bad, it was just a friendly match. This summer the matches will be much more important. And Spain are the reigning World Cup champs. We saw them play Portugal during the last World Cup. That was amazing!

6. It is my dream to watch a top soccer match in a large stadium. I’ve seen a series B game in Padova, Italy once…that was amazing. I played soccer for 15yrs when I was a kid, it’s my passion. My Italian husband rolls his eyes when another match is on the tv! Great post!

7. It’s great to read your thoughts and feelings on England. We often take our own country for granted so your fresh eyes are a treat even when it’s boring footie!

Thanks! So far I am loving England. There is so much here to do and the people are so nice. I loved Boston, but so far London has so much more. We aren’t sure how long we will be here so we are trying to squeeze in as much as possible.

8. Kristina says:

How exciting! I am off to Twickenham stadium to watch rugby next Saturday, I hope I will have as much fun! 😀

9. frizztext says:

you’ve caught the atmosphere!

10. IsobelandCat says:

Especially love the third pic. Glad you enjoyed the match.
    Have you taken a tour of the new Olympic sites yet? Must admit i haven’t, but I have got tix for some of the Paraolympics.

11. Carol says:

How fun! And the pictures really captured it, made me feel like I was there.

12. TBM says:

Hi Isobel! Thanks for the Olympic Tours link. I bookmarked the page. And very good news about Parliament. Saturdays our usually the days we go sightseeing. I’ll have to fit this in this winter. Thanks!

13. Carl V. says:

Wow, that place looks enormous. I don’t pay much attention to football outside of the NFL so I hadn’t ever heard of that arch, but that is a neat piece of architecture. And how fun that your first game saw England winning!

The stadium was much larger than I expected and the arch is amazing, especially at night. It was cool to watch England win, however, we were surrounded by Spanish fans. They weren’t too happy about it. Since moving I have no idea how the NFL season is going. Any predictions for the super bowl?

• Carl V. says:

I certainly would be shocked if the Packers didn’t make it in, but a team like the Saints could actually jump up and bite them in the playoffs. The Steelers look really strong on the AFC side of things. Packers/Steelers would truly not be a surprise at all.

14. TBM says:

Thanks for the NFL update Carl. How is your fantasy league? I would like to see the Saints win again. That poor city needs all the boosts it can get. But Packer fans may disagree. Also, I loved visiting New Orleans. I haven’t been to Packer country yet. Maybe that will change my mind. I was super impressed with the Saints fans. I was there during the season and everyone was talking about the team. Everyone…even the homeless people along the Mississippi.