Storm Front

Before I left Boston I signed up for a group read of Storm Front by Jim Butcher.  This is the first book in the series the Dresden Files.  Unfortunately, due to some problems with my move and catching a cold I was not able to participate in the group read hosted by Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings for R.I.P.  Ironically, I finished the book because I had a cold.  One of the early days in my new apartment I felt like crap.  I stayed in and read this novel.

It was the perfect book to read on a sick day.  The plot isn’t too intense or complicated.  The novel is a fast, easy, and entertaining read.  The plot revolves around Harry Dresden, a wizard who offers his services to help people solve some of their problems such as finding lost objects.  One day, Harry is hired by a woman named Monica to help find her husband Victor.  Also, he is working with the police to help solve a double murder.  The victims had their hearts ripped out and Harry and the one of the detectives, Lieutenant Karrin Murphy, director of Special Investigations Unit of the Chicago Police Department, believe that magic was used to kill the man and woman.

But wait, there’s more.  Harry is approached by a gangster to stay out of the murder investigation, the White Council who polices wizards are looking into Harry’s activities to see if he should be punished by death for breaking their rules, and the murderer knows Harry’s name and wants him dead.  Talk about a rough few days at the office.

One of the aspects that I really enjoyed about this novel is the author’s sense of humor.  At one point, Harry is fighting off a demon, while protecting his date who has accidentally swallowed a love potion.  To make matters worse, Harry was in the shower when the demon appeared on his doorstep.  Harry is naked while fighting off a demon and a woman who is crazed with love potion.

If you are looking for a fun read I would suggest this novel.  I know I will continue reading the books in this series.  However, I haven’t seen the TV series based on these novels.  If you have seen the series, is it worth watching?

This entry was posted in Books and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Storm Front

1. Kristina says:

This sounds pretty scary! 🙂

2. You know, I have had those books on my “to read” list for a while now but have not gotten to them yet. I think it’s time to move them up to the top of the list. Thanks for the review! They sound right up my alley.

I hope you feel better now, dear TBM, it is so bad to catch cold. But you did the best thing; to read a book. I don’t know this book and the writer. Seems very interesting and exciting…Thank you, with my love, nia

I am much better now. I can never sleep when I have a cold so it is a good time to curl up in bed and read a novel. The book is pretty exciting! Have a good day!

4. Melissa says:

I heard the series wasn’t a good representation of the main character. My friend is a HUGE Jim Butcher fan, in fact she lent me “Side Jobs”-which I have yet to break the spine on (maybe over Winter Break). Hope you are feeling better.

I haven’t heard of Side Jobs. I hope you enjoy it. After reading this novel I can understand why Butcher has quite the following. It is too bad the series didn’t represent Harry that well–he makes the book. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

5. Shoeless says:

I’ve heard mixed reviews on the TV series, but have never seen it. However, I do LOVE this book series! Was totally not something I would have picked up on my own, but once I got into it, I was hooked. I defiantly think it gets better as the series progress, and it really is fun to watch Butcher progress as a writer.

This isn’t my normal reading either. If is wasn’t for the group read I signed up for I wouldn’t have picked up a copy but I’m glad I did. I need to start tracking down the rest of the books in the series. Have a wonderful day!

6. T.F.Walsh says:

I have this book to read…. sounds so good… going to read it next:)

7. The Hook says:

I hear a lot of good things about The Dresden Files. They attempted a TV series a few years back, but it just didn’t catch on.
    Great review!

8. I haven’t heard of both the TV series and the book – looks like an entertaining read, and the book cover is mighty intriguing. If I see this book in our library, I’d definitely give it a shot. 🙂

I hope you can find it. It is a fun read. I haven’t read too many books in this genre but I really enjoyed it. A great way to spend some afternoons. The cover does draw you in. I hope you enjoy.

9. Carl V. says:

I was really sorry you couldn’t participate in the group read discussions, but am glad that you turned an unfortunate day into a better one by reading the book. I agree with you completely, an uncomplicated but entertaining book with a great sense of humor. An infectious sense of humor really. I will also be continuing on with this series, which is not something I expected to feel when I contemplated reading it in the first place.

I want to continue the series as well. I didn’t expect too much from it but I was highly entertained. His sense of humor really made it work for me. Hopefully when I read the next ones I won’t be sick, but sitting in a pub in front of a fire on a rainy day. That sounds more delightful. This book would also be a good book to read on a plane, maybe I should plan a long flight somewhere.