A Peaceful Place

When I asked fellow bloggers to suggest things for me to see and do in London (and I’m still looking for suggestions), Robin from Life in the Bogs suggested Holland Park since she felt it was one of the most beautiful places in London.  I agree with her.  We had wandered down to Holland Park a few weeks earlier and I enjoyed it immensely.  It is located in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.

This park offers a lot of variety.  The northern part is woodsy.

It is a great spot for a romantic walk.

The central part contains gardens.

There is a giant chess set.

The remains of the Holland House, which was once a magnificent home but was bombed in 1940, is another fascinating spot to see.

There are murals that were painted by Mao Wen Biao between April 1994 and May 1995.  They depict a make-believe scene of one of the garden parties on the grounds of the Holland House in the 1870s.

And of course there are areas designated for sports.

It is a wonderful place to visit.

This entry was posted in London and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to A Peaceful Place

1. T.F.Walsh says:

What gorgeous photos… you’re very lucky to see these wonderful places.

I feel really lucky. And I don’t want to waste this opportunity. I hope to make it to your lovely country and see all the wonderful things there!

WOW! This is so beautiful dear TBM. UK has so beautiful green areas and fields, although they have, their cities are amazing too. London is one of them. How admirable to have such a beautiful parks like that… Your photographs took me too in this walking day… I loved them all, you captured and created such a nice photographical set for this great park. Thank you, with my love, nia

Thanks Nia! I am loving all of the gardens in London. Even our little neighborhood has a little garden that is beautiful. I’m glad you enjoyed the walk. I’ll do my best to share more experiences.

3. I wish I had a place like that to go to on my lunch hour at work. It looks like a great place to de-stress.

4. Beth Ann says:

Oh my goodness—that is so beautiful!!! Glad you found it!!! Love the giant chess set. The one we had at the place we stayed at in the Bahamas was fun and I moved the horsies to be kissing every day but they mysteriously went back to their original position every time…Hmmmmm.

I giggled when I saw the chess set. I’ve always meant to learn how to play, maybe this is a sign that I should. Sounds like you had a good time in the Bahamas. I’m jealous!

5. Kristina says:

Hampstead heath is one amazing place to go to and it is one of the highest spots in London! 🙂

6. Palm Trees & Bare Feet says:

Great pictures! Looks like a very cool and tranquil place to go! I love the Holland House and the gigantic chess set! I bet there’s a lot of history in that park.

Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Thanks. It is peaceful there. I’m hoping to uncover more of its history. I can’t help it, I’m a history nerd and proud of it. And luckily for me, it is within walking distance from my apartment. So whenever I feel a little stressed or just want to get out, I can meander through this lovely park and recharge my batteries.

7. Nandini says:

Really calm and peaceful 🙂

It was good to read through your post. Felt nice! thanks for sharing 🙂

Thanks Nandini. I love places like this because they remind me of how wonderful nature is and how easy it is to take in its beauty and life lessons. This park reminds me to slow down and to enjoy life.

• Nandini says:

Exactly. Spending time with nature actually brings you closer to your inner self.
        I was listening to some slow songs today afternoon and I realized (not for the first time) that life is more enjoyable during calm moments and it must not be like a race. We must slow down once in a while. It is great for our soul. 🙂

8. TBM says:

That is a wonderful observation Nandini! Most of our souls could use a break from the hectic pace of life.

9. denise:) says:

Lovely! On my To Do list for next time we’re in London- thanks for sharing.

10. Grace says:

Love the chess set! It reminds me of Alice!

Yes it does! Thanks for that observation. I should have known that you would point that out! I hope you are surviving the semester and that you’ll get a break over the holidays.

11. wolke205 says:

Gorgeous! This really is a place I would like to visit, the paintings on the wall are awesome.

I almost missed the murals since there is so much to see in this park. I’m glad I didn’t. It gives you a sense of the garden parties that could have occurred at the Holland House. It is such a shame that most of it was destroyed during World War II.

12. carol says:

Looks like a marvelous place. Thanks for sharing the photos.

It is a great place to spend some time. I’m excited to visit it during the spring and summer since there is also a rose garden, however when we went the roses were past their prime.

It looks like an interesting place!

14. Wow, those photos are so beautiful! I bet it’s even more soul replenishing in person. I love everything, the architecture, the gardens, the artwork, what a magnificent way to spend an afternoon -or longer! 😀 Thanks for sharing the pictures!

April @ My Shelf Confessions

15. Pingback: A Special Part of Holland Park | 50 Year Project

16. These are truly lovely photos. I haven’t been to London yet, so I’d definitely bookmark some of your posts so I’d know where to go when I come visit.

17. Robin says:

Wonderful photos. They make me yearn to go back. 🙂

Thank you so much for the mention and the link.

18. Jo Bryant says:

I love this series – I could spend hours playing with that chess set…

I was just talking last night that I need to learn how to play chess. If you are in town, maybe we can play. That will give me incentive to learn.

19. The Hook says:

Very peaceful, indeed! Nicely done.

20. Pingback: I’m starting to like running | 50 Year Project