Charles Dickens Month

February 7th marks what would have been Charles Dickens’s 200th birthday.  In honor of this event, the blog Fig and Thistle is hosting a Charles Dickens Month in January.  Considering that I am reading ten novels by him this year (or at least I am going to attempt to) I decided to join this event.  It isn’t the normal reading challenge.  Instead, the host asks the participants to post something about Dickens every Tuesday in January, which is a total of five.  Anything about the writer counts, such as books, short stories, films, or tidbits about his life.   The host will have a giveaway as well.  The stipulation is that you actually post something about Dickens.

I’m hoping that this post will count for the first of the five Tuesdays.

TB Markinson is an American who's recently returned to the US after a seven-year stint in the UK and Ireland. When she isn't writing, she's traveling the world, watching sports on the telly, visiting pubs in New England, or reading. Not necessarily in that order. Her novels have hit Amazon bestseller lists for lesbian fiction and lesbian romance. She cohosts the Lesbians Who Write Podcast (lesbianswhowrite.com) with Clare Lydon. TB also runs I Heart Lesfic (iheartlesfic.com), a place for authors and fans of lesfic to come together to celebrate lesbian fiction.
This entry was posted in Books and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Charles Dickens Month

1. Carl V. says:

I think it counts just fine, and have fun, it sounds like a very creative idea. I haven’t read Dickens forever but I do like his work very much. And hey, I just watched The Muppet Christmas Carol a few weeks ago, so I guess I did get sort of a taste of Dickens recently, lol!

I also watched the Muppet Christmas Carol. I love it! I do like this reading challenge and I’m excited to see all the different ways people participate.

2. Beth Ann says:

I am so impressed with your impressive list for 2012 and will be following along to see how you are progressing!!! Not joining in….yet….but maybe…..I need to read some good literature that stands the test of time so maybe I will add a Dickens to my list!!!

I hope I can keep up with my goals this year. If you do add Dickens to your list, I
      would love to hear about it. Thanks for following my progress!

3. Counts in my book. I didn’t know his birth date and now, I do!

Thanks! I didn’t know it either until I moved here. London is getting excited about his 200th birthday. It is a fun time to live in the city. Dickens birthday, the Olympics, the Queen’s diamond jubilee. Lots going on in 2012!

4. Jillian ♣ says:

Wow!! Ten Dickens novels? That’s awesome!! You’ll be an expert by 2013. 😀

You inspire always …. Nice to see you come back. I am glad you had a nice time… I watched on television screen the fireworks in London… Fascinated me… You are amazing reader, blogger, photographer and friend… Happy New Year and Happy readings… Thank you, with my love, nia

Thanks for the kind words Nia. We watched the fireworks in London on TV as well. It was amazing. I heard from friends here that the fireworks were more elaborate than past years. I wish you much happiness in the new year!

6. melfrommass says:

What the dickens! 🙂

7. Tracy says:

I believe you’ve already been nominated, but what the hell: We’ve nominated you for the Versitility in Blogging Award.

That’s another tempting event. Even I could squeeze in a little something or do you have to post 4 times?

I didn’t think this one was too difficult and it fit in perfectly with my reading goals. And according to the posting by the host today, you don’t have to stick to the Tuesday schedule. You can post when you can and all you have to do is leave the link on her blog. I don’t believe you have to post every week, you can participate as much or as little as you want. I would love to hear your thoughts on Dickens!

9. IsobelandCat says:

You might be interested in this:

Did you see Sue Perkins’ programme about him? There’s been a fair amount on the radio too.

Thanks for the link! I bookmarked it so I can read it tomorrow. I missed the Perkins’ programme. I did catch a show on the BBC last night about his writings. I forget the host’s name, but I enjoyed the show. So much is going on in England this year I’m loving it!

10. Nandini says:

Wow, that’s great! 🙂 I have been reading his Great Expectations since August 2011, but never finished it. I have to, now. 🙂

11. Lindsey says:

That’s a lot of Dickens in one year! I really enjoy him, but I don’t think I’d want to read that much Dickens in a short amount of time. I am hoping to read both Oliver Twist and A Tale of Two Cities this year though. Good luck!

Thanks Lindsey! Both of those are on my list. I’m a little worried that it might be too much Dickens, but I decided to go for it since this year marks his 200th birthday and I just moved to England. I thought it would be a fun project. Hopefully it will be fun.

12. Yay! Thanks for participating!

13. Kristina says:

Very clever of you, I am sure you post will be counted for 🙂 Goo challenge, good luck! 😀