Travel Photo of the Day (Jan. 9)

Walden Pond, Concord, Massachusetts.   This was one of the ponds by Thoreau’s house.  The actual pond is much larger.

This entry was posted in Travel, Travel Photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to Travel Photo of the Day (Jan. 9)

1. Northern Narratives says:

I look at that and I can imagine the birds singing 🙂

I want to read Walden soon. I did start it once but something distracted me and I forgot all abou it.

3. xandimusic says:

wonderful shot TBM, great mirror effect! Nice!
    peace
    xandi

4. Kate Kresse says:

Gorgeous. THAT is what I am talking about. What a super photo. It is truly a tranquil setting. We used to visit there when we lived out east. No wonder he was such a wonderful writer with a setting like that.

Thanks Kate. The place is truly inspirational! And so many great writers lived in Concord: Louisa May Alcott, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Thoreau, Emerson…to name a few.

5. Carl V. says:

Gorgeous! That is where I’d love to be sitting right now, reading the second half of Foundation.

6. megtraveling says:

I used to go swimming here when I was growing up in Lexington!

7. Kristina says:

Great shot, love the reflection! 🙂

8. Jo Bryant says:

what abeautiful shot – I am finally pushed to delve some more in to some of the American greats…

Thanks Jo. I haven’t read Walden yet, but it is on the list. When I visited the pond I really wanted to read the work. Maybe I should go back to find the inspiration again.

9. Ok, I have a reallly bad headache today, so my eyes aren’t working too good. Is that a reflection of the dead tree or is it actually hanging out over the water like that? If the latter, that would be a great place to do flips from!! 🙂

I’m so sorry to hear about your headache. I hope it goes away soon! If I remember correctly, that was a dead tree. This pond isn’t that deep, but the actual Walden Pond is 102 feet deep. You can do flips and not worry about hitting the bottom.

Wonderful shot – looks very peaceful!

11. T.F.Walsh says:

Has an eerie feel to it, while being tranquil…

12. jacquelincangro says:

I can totally connect with this photo. I went to Walden Pond a few years ago and found it so inspiring. I got to stand where Thoreau’s house was and gaze at the water. I bet the view was almost unchanged from when he lived there 150 years ago.
    In fact the photos in the header of my blog are of Walden Pond.

I was amazed by how small his house was. I wonder how different it was during his time. I remember seeing train tracks at one end of the pond and a small highway at the other end. That made me sad. But like you said, the view from his house of the pond doesn’t seem altered much…just the surrounding area.

Looks scary but interesting.

14. What a lovely, peaceful place and a great shot.

15. deslily says:

I just love, love, love photo’s taken in the woods! no matter where…I always feel like it’s where I belong… beautiful beautiful

Beautiful reflection… fascinating me… Thank you dear TBM, with my love, nia

17. The Hook says:

What a serene slice of life to share! Well done.

18. Nandini says:

As if this place has never been touched before. Great photo. 🙂

19. How beautiful – I wonder how many people have walked (or wanted to walk) out on that log?!

20. wolke205 says:

The water looks like a huge mirror – fantastic! 🙂

21. Truly enchanting. I must have been a dryad in a past life.

22. IsobelandCat says:

It looks very tranquil and green.