Travel Photo of the Day (Jan. 19)

A view of the Benedictine monk mountain retreat in  Montserrat, Spain.  You can reach it by train and it’s about one hour from Barcelona.

This entry was posted in Europe, Travel, Travel Photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Travel Photo of the Day (Jan. 19)

1. Northern Narratives says:

I like the way that the structure is built into the rocky landscape.

2. Any idea when this was built? It looks quite modern.

I don’t remember the exact date. I think that the construction started a long time ago, but they kept adding to it so I am not sure of the timeline.

3. Whenever I look at structures like this one, I am in awe of the incredible feat it must have been to build in such a difficult and remote location! Thanks for sharing this one – it’s awesome! I would love to visit Spain one day 🙂

Spain is a great place to visit. We had a blast and I’m hoping to see more of it. I still haven’t been to Madrid. I hope you go! I’m glad you liked the photo.

4. Damn, i was just in Barcelona, I wish i had known about this place! Can you visit the monastery? It looks like it’s going to fall off the cliffs!

That is a shame you didn’t see it. Yes you can go in and explore. They have some artwork on exhibit. There is a cafeteria as well. Also, we didn’t hear it, but I’ve heard the choir is amazing. The hiking around there offers great views as well. If you go again, maybe you can fit it into your schedule.

Wow, this is really cool! What unusual rock formations.

6. The Hook says:

Those monks know how to live, don’t they? Imagine if they wanted BK delivered?

7. They must have the greatest view over there! So cool.

The view is amazing. For the first half of our day there it was raining so we missed out on some of the views during our hike around the place.

8. Malou Prestado says:

We went there a couple of years ago, took the funicular to get to the top and back. Lovely place!

9. Jo Bryant says:

what an unusual sight

10. I have always wanted to visit Spain. I did a partial Eastern Europe tour last year (Berlin, Prague, Venice), perhaps I can visit this side of Europe soon.

11. carlaat says:

I’ve been there! I was lucky enough to chaperone a school trip to Spain and France. Our choir sang here at Easter Sunday mass. It was incredibly beautiful. Thanks for sharing this great view – I don’t think I was able to see the place like this when approaching from the road through the tour bus windows!

12. wolke205 says:

Wow, I m impressed! And even better that it s reached by train 😀

13. Anyluckypeny says:

The drive up is amazing! I was here 4 years ago..I want to go back!

14. Pingback: Comment Challenge 2012 – GatheringBooks Dives In – A Running Update «

15. airsquadron says:

simply breathtaking. the stone looks weird.

16. Kristina says:

Amazing, that would be a real retreat to stay there surrounded by the mountain 🙂