This Winter is Spoiling Me

This winter is making me soft.  For months, the temperatures have been pleasant for this time of year.  I’ve been able to get out and enjoy seeing the city.  Last week the cold temperatures arrived.  And I wasn’t prepared.  When I lived in Boston I would walk to work during the wintertime.  And believe me, it gets cold there.  The wind goes right through to the bone.  My coworkers thought I was crazy, but I loved the cold, fresh air.  However, when the cold descended on London last week I was freezing.  The past couple of months have coddled me.  I think I’m getting soft or is it because I am getting older?  Even when it finally snowed, I didn’t spend as much time outside as I would have in the past.  Instead I stood in my flat with a hot cup of tea and enjoyed watching the snow.

Here are some photos of my walks to work in Boston during winter.  Maybe it will give you sense of how cold it can get.

This entry was posted in Boston and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to This Winter is Spoiling Me

1. T. F. Walsh says:

Boston looks so awesome… I’m going there this April – so excited… my first time… any suggestions?

Oh I’m excited for you. It can still be a little chilly in April and bring a sturdy umbrella–the wind can destroy many umbrellas. As for suggestions, what are you interested in: history, art, sports, shopping? The best way to see Boston is to walk around. It isn’t as large as NYC and you can pretty much walk the entire city in a few days if you have sensible walking shoes. Some of the surrounding towns are fantastic, such as Lexington and Concord. I don’t know if you plan on renting a car. Walden Pond is in Concord and the first battle of the Revolutionary War is in Concord. Let me know what you would like to see and I’ll do my best to make suggestions. Oh, before I forget, Harvard is a fun place to visit. You can reach that via the subway.

• T. F. Walsh says:

Hmmm not quite sure what I want to see… it’ll be our first time there. We’re going to the PAX fair, and then have a few days to spare to look around. We’re not hiring a car, it will be all on foot or bus… oh we are doing the hop on hop off bus to get a feel for the city.

The public transportation will get you to most, if not all, the places you want to see in the city. You can even take the subway to Harvard and Cambridge. I didn’t own a car while I lived there. The hop and off bus will be a great way to get you situated in the city. Once you go you will see what areas you want to revisit and spend more time. One of the things I like to do when planning a trip to a big city is look up the top ten things to do on different sites and start taking notes on the things I am interested in. Also I hit the library and look at travel books.

2. Kristina says:

so beautiful! I think you we are just getting old and prefer watching snow through the window with a cup of tea 😀 Looks really cold! Does it get as cold as in my country? -25-30? 😀 Its -26 at moment 🙂 here are some amazing winter pictures 😀

3. TBM says:

Kristina those are fantastic photos! Really beautiful. It can get that cold in Boston, especially with the windchill. But I don’t remember a lot of days like that. If it was consistently that cold I think I would have complained more.

I have to admit, it is nice staying inside and watching the snow. And now my flat has beautiful views so I can. In Boston my windows faced the building next door…not very pretty.

4. I can’t speak for you TBM, but for me it’s definitely age creeping up on me. As I get older all I want to do is hibernate in the winter :). Nice pics!

I don’t know if I should feel happy that it is age or sad. Not that I would want to be in my twenties again. They were fun, but I prefer my life now. As I get older I feel more comfortable in my own skin, if that makes sense.

I’m doing my best not to hibernate this winter, but the past couple of weeks have been hard.

5. Nandini says:

So so beautiful! Loved these shots. Especially the sunlight one. Very pretty, and freezing, indeed. 🙂

Thanks Nandini! Sometimes I miss my walk through Boston on my way to work. It really is a lovely city. However, I can’t complain about London though. I’ve been fortunate.

6. frizztext says:

image 005 with sun glow is great!

7. Don’t blame age – I like cold weather more and more as I get older – blame the move! It sapped all your energies and you are still recovering.

8. Beth Ann says:

I am with you—-I am getting softer with age, too. Snow is not my favorite thing and I find that I just want to hibernate when it starts a snowing and a blowing!!! Just looking at your pictures made me cold. I may have to put another log on the fire….

Ah a roaring fire sounds good. I just got back from taking my dog for a walk and I would love to sit next to a fire and warm up my bones.

9. wolke205 says:

The first photo is really amazing, I love it 🙂 By the way we finally had a bit snow today..booo… 😉

10. djhuang says:

Boston is pretty warm now. This is great, as I prefer enjoying snow only in pictures. :). These pictures do remind me the “normal” season here,….time to turn the heater on…

I’ve been hearing from many people that this has been an odd winter there. I’m glad you enjoyed seeing the snow pictures. Enjoy the warm winter.

The cold is different in every place. My step mom is from Helsinki where it is much colder than in Switzerland but she always says the cold in Finland wasn’t as bad. London is very humid, that could be a reason.
    I have a hard time too. It was so warm until recently. I’m shocked about that cold. I can’t even remember any winter as cold as it is now.

I always thought the cold was much worse in Boston instead of Colorado. When I told Bostonians that they would say I was wrong since they pictured me living in the Rocky Mountains in a cabin. They didn’t know that a lot of Colorado is pretty flat. I could see the foothills from where I lived, but I didn’t live in the mountains. And when it snowed, more than likely it melted the next day. Now that I am in London, all the descriptions of the cold in English novels is making a lot of sense. It can get cold here.

It seemed that winter took some time in coming and now it has arrived with a vengeance. I’ve seen on the news that Eastern Europe is really suffering.

I hope it warms up in your area soon!

12. xandimusic says:

nice photos TBM! Today, in southern germany, we had a warm day, it was abou -5 to -12°C…. 😀
    It’s so cold…..
    Peace
    xandi

13. Dounia says:

It’s been warmer here in New England than it has been in Europe this winter! We’ve hardly had any snow, and the snow we did have melted away within 2-3 days. It’s been a strange winter, especially after the crazy snow we got last year! Thanks for sharing your pictures though, they’re great!

Last year in Boston the amount of snow was crazy. And then there was a tornado, earthquake, and hurricane. This year has been completely different.

• Dounia says:

It’s almost hard to believe the difference between this year and last year. We only moved to Connecticut about a year and half ago, and weather-wise it was probably the craziest year CT has ever seen – like you said, with the snow, tornado, earthquake, hurricane, then we had a very strange snowstorm in October…it’s been interesting! We were expecting tons of snow after when we saw last year, and so far, we’ve had almost no snow.

I do hope it’s gotten warmer in England though, I’ve seen how temperatures have been freezing in Europe (my family is still in France), so I hope you can keep warm!

Eastern Europe is really getting hit with cold temperatures. It is still chilly here, but not like it is over there so I won’t complain.

Pretty!! I live where there are four distinct seasons to experience – also, great snow – with the exception of this year. When I was a kid, I loved playing in the snow, but now, I prefer to sip a hot cup of tea and watch the snow fall. It is so pretty in the mountains.

I love the seasons. It always gives me something to look forward to, while still enjoying the current season. Snow in the mountains is one of the prettiest scenes!

15. thirdeyemom says:

I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Now we get the real thing here but this winter has been a joke. No snow (last year had 82 inches) and it is balmy and warm. No ice skating, sledding, cross-country skiing. Oh well. You got to embrace winter to live here!

That does seem odd for your area that you aren’t getting much snow. I’ve always pictured Minnesota covered with snow. It really has been an odd winter for so many parts of the world. 82 inches of snow last year—yikes!

16. Kate Kresse says:

lived in NH, worked in Lawrence, Mass (outllying northern ‘burb of Boston). It getes “wicked cold ” both places in a typical wintah

Ah I haven’t heard the word “wicked” since leaving Boston. Thanks for the reminder of home! It does get cold in Massachusetts. I wasn’t prepared for it when I first moved there, but I had to adapt to it or suffer.

17. Gilly Gee says:

Loving the golden glow on the Boston buildings 🙂

Boston seems so beautiful in winter… and this is winter! Thank you dear TBM, with my love, nia

19. nonsens…I love winter

20. I just love the corner store one, and the first one of the icy sidewalk in front of the brownstones at dusk/dawn is absolutely rivetting. It is stunningly beautiful.

Thanks very much. The first one was taken early in the morning on my walk to work. It was a cold morning, but I was more in awe of the beauty around me.

21. I wonder what the weather is like sometime June. I will be giving a presentation in a conference there mid-June. 🙂 Very excited to see Boston for myself. I am hoping, though, that the weather would not be anything like this one.

I really don’t think you will have snow in June 🙂 Rain, well that’s a good possibility, but not a definite. But this winter has been crazy, so who knows what June holds. I’m really excited to hear about your trip. And you may want to visit the Granary Burying Ground. Many American Revolutionaries are buried there and Mary Goose, many claim that she was the original Mother Goose. This probably isn’t all that likely, but it is still cool to see.

• You should be safe in June although I remember the year that we had a blizzard in late May. If you are in downtown Boston in June, do walk the Public Gardens, visit Faneuil Hall, and the North End. As TBM mentions, Boston is a good walking city.

• Thanks Diane. Will definitely keep that in mind. Will also check out the places you noted. 🙂

If you check out Faneuil Hall stop at the North End Bakery if you have a sweet tooth. I used to love the cannolis there. Also if you like the Public Gardens you might like the Victory Garden in the Fens area near Fenway, the home of the Red Sox. The Victory Garden is one of two surviving Victory Gardens from World War II in the US.

22. Claire says:

Cold !
    Brrr 🙂

23. Robin says:

Great shots. They represent winter very well. Most winters, anyhow. This one has been spoiling me too. It doesn’t stay cold long enough for me to “harden” to it.

I know what you mean Robin. I feel like when I first moved to Colorado after growing up in Southern California. I wasn’t used to the cold and could never warm up.