A once in a lifetime experience

The best bath I have ever experienced was in Zambia.  We were staying at a place 3 kilometers from Victoria Falls.  Our room was completely open in the front.

I couldn’t see the falls, but I could hear them.  I was there during winter (yes it gets quite cold in Africa at night).  It was a freezing.  When I got back from dinner I requested red wine and hot tea.  Then I filled the tub with hot water, stripped down as fast as I could and climbed into the tub.  I knew that over the next two weeks I would be in the bush and I would have to live with bucket showers or no showers.  Also, how could I resist, taking a bath while drinking red wine listening to the falls in an open room?  A lion roared in the distance.  I was in heaven.

While I was in the tub I looked outside of the room and saw the Zambian sky as nightfall was enveloping the land.

This entry was posted in Africa, Travel and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to A once in a lifetime experience

1. That sounds so dreamy and so relaxing!! I’m just glad you didn’t drop your camera in the tub!! LOL 🙂

That would have been sad since it was the beginning of the trip. If I did though, I had a smaller camera with me as well. But it isn’t as good.

2. Nandini says:

Wow, such a nice experience! I loved the lat photo, it’s magical.. 🙂

3. Sounds Divine!!! 🙂 **

4. That’s the kind of thing I thought only happens in movies. Amazing!

5. I felt like I was right there with you !!! What a beautiful night that must have been and what anticipation of the adventures to come!!! The pictures are wonderful!!! What a memory you must have of that time!

Out of all the places I’ve been, Africa has had the biggest impact on me. Whenever I think of that trip I smile. So many amazing experiences.

Thanks for sharing this. It must have been a great experience and the photos are so nice. Can you imagine that I wrote my thesis on the religion of the Congo region and have never been there.

Thanks Caroline. I hope you get to see the Congo. I wrote my thesis on the Hitler Youth and the British Boy Scouts and had never been to either country. This is such a large world and there are so many fascinating places to see and to study.

7. Kristina says:

What an amazing experience! It seems so cosy there and so beautiful!

8. Northern Narratives says:

Truly a once in a lifetime experience. I like that you heard the lion roar.

9. marieltan says:

It sounds so….. pure 🙂 Beautiful!!

10. Carl V. says:

Gorgeous sunset. It is only over the last few years that I’ve truly come to find the African countryside beautiful. It isn’t that I didn’t find it so, so much as that I didn’t give it much thought. I’m not fond of dry climes anyway and it certainly isn’t my favorite topography, but it is stunningly beautiful and I imagine even more so in person.

I have relatives on my wife’s side that are missionaries in Zambia and they just love the place and the people.

I had this conversation the other day about dry areas. I spent a lot of time in Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah and the landscape doesn’t impress a lot of people. I’m not talking about the Rocky Mountain region, but the plains. All you see is dirt, grass, and rock formations if you are lucky. And I find it absolutely beautiful. It reminds me of my childhood.

When I arrived in Africa I was blown away by the landscape. It is gorgeous and reminded me a little of my childhood. And when I saw the wildlife there, I fell in love with the place. I’m jealous of your wife’s relatives. Zambia is a wonderful place.

11. carol says:

Wow, what a once in a lifetime experience.

Soooo awesome! Who knew a bath could be like this.

WOW! I tried to dream how it would be… To be nature is amazing, dear TBM, even in thoughts too, fascinating… Thank you, you captured such a nice photographs, with my love, nia

14. Zelmare says:

Wonderful! Sounds like something one can only imagine… 🙂

Wow…you make me want to go to zambia. The bath sounds very relaxing and the view is amazing. Lucky you 😉

16. mac says:

I love these pics from Africa! Keep it up 🙂

17. buddhafulkat says:

Sounds like a beautiful and magical experience!

18. Wow. That was some bath! Nice.

19. T. F. Walsh says:

I’d love to go there one day… one day.

20. Jackie Cangro says:

That is a once-in-a-lifetime bath!
    Perfection!

21. I so miss Africa! Which lodge were you in? (sorry, old habits die hard!) the only ones I remember with open air en-suite were Tongabezi and Sussi & Chuma but it doesn’t look like them.

Maybe it’s the exhibitionist in me but I adore an outdoor shower. Top ones have to be Lion Sands 1933 (Sabi Sand, South Africa) – showering in the open watching hippos wallowing in the river just feet away; and Soroi, before it was opened (Western Corridor, Serengeti, Tanzania) set on an escarpment looking out across hundreds of miles of open plains. If we had been there at the right time the migration would have been all around us – pretty incredible (even if it wasn’t my favourite lodge and other guests could see me showering!)

Hello. We stayed at Stanley Safari Lodge. It was a great place. I would have been nervous showering while watching hippos. I really want to go back to Africa. I loved it there and all of the experiences. Have to save some money first though. Maybe next time, I’ll be able to shower during the migration.

• Ah! I’ve got rusty! Stanley’s is beautiful (we didn’t use it a lot but I think it’s so much nicer than the big hotels – natural and more intimate is infinitely better than big and soulless!)

Don’t think I’d recommend Soroi sadly – there was just something off about it. One of the best views from a shower or toilet you’ll find, but could be so much more.

LOL…I guess I would like more than a nice place to use the bathroom. Stanley’s was intimate. I liked it there, but I don’t have anything to compare it to 🙂 The views were stunning.

22. This does sound like a truly beautiful experience. It’s so great we can capture these moments now through our cameras. 🙂