Travel Photo of the Day (Feb. 23)

Unfortunately, I don’t know the name of this bird.  I spotted him along the Zambezi River and thought he was cute.  I loved his knobby knees.  The guide may have told us the name, however I went on this cruise two hours after arriving at my first destination in Zambia.  Before that I had been on three flights, one from Boston to London.  Then London to South Africa and then South Africa to Zambia.   After we checked into our lodge and had a quick bite to eat, we headed off for our first adventure, a river cruise on the Zambezi.   Does anyone know the name of this bird?

This entry was posted in Africa, Travel, Travel Photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Travel Photo of the Day (Feb. 23)

1. Kristina says:

I don’t know either, but a lovely picture it is! 🙂

2. wolke205 says:

Gorgeous lil guy 🙂

3. Detective Cindy on the job again. This was much harder, but I think may have it. I believe the wee guy is a Water Thick-Knee Dikkop. Google it and see what you think. Give me a challenge and I get kinda obsessed.

By jove I think you got it! You have amazing skills. Maybe you should train to be a guide in Africa. If you love a challenge that would be a fun one. Can you imagine taking people through Chobe National Park every day and identifying animals and such. What a great job. Thanks for all of your help!

• My pleasure and thank you! As for being a guide, I would love to go to Africa, but I would be a terrible guide because my memory sucks. LOL. I would love a research job though – I love searching for information. By the way, that first sentence of yours – I think you are becoming a true Englishman!!

LOL…I didn’t even think of that when I wrote the first sentence. Maybe I am.

4. Jo Bryant says:

I think detective Cindy might be worth keeping around…he is beautiful though…whatever he is

I think Cindy was right in the name. She’s amazing. And yippie, your comment didn’t go into my spam folder. Hopefully that means your situation is improving.

What an intriguing little bird! Really interesting. I think Photosfromtheloonybin may have it. An interesting name to go with an interesting bird.

This is lovely one… has a long leg… But I am afraid I don’t know too. Thank you dear TBM, with my love, nia

7. frizztext says:

no name bird, a real camouflage expert!

I know nothing about bird.
    3 flights? Don’t you feel jetlag?

On the way there I didn’t. I was too excited to be in Africa. On the way back, that was a whole other story. I was miserable the entire time flying home. At least we only had two flights that time. But when I arrived in Boston I had a terrible head cold and I went to bed for two days.

9. deslily says:

lol.. wow, he could be a basketball player with those legs! lol

10. buddhafulkat says:

He’s so still he almost looks like he could be made of wood. What a neat little guy!

11. Cindy’s right. A Water Kiddop (Burhinus vermiculatus) “common resident often seen singly on the banks of large rivers or lakes where there is fringing vegetation. Lies up during the day in reeds or beneath overhanging bushes, becoming active at dusk.” – according to my Newman’s Birds of Southern Africa.

12. Gilly Gee says:

A dikkop! what a cool name for this cutie!

13. He certainly color coordinates with his surroundings. Great!

14. That’s a good description indeed. Knobby knees. At one point I called myself a little brown bird. I love wearing browns. 🙂