M is for Molten Lava

This week’s letter for Frizztext’s A-Z archive photo challenge is M.  While in Guatemala, we hiked the Pacaya Volcano, which is an active volcano.  The hike to the top was quite a challenge, but seeing the molten lava flowing from this volcano was a once in a lifetime experience.  The year after we hiked this volcano it erupted.

To see other M entries please visit this page.

This entry was posted in Travel and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to M is for Molten Lava

1. Beth Ann says:

Wow. What a once in a lifetime experience!!! Awesome. We saw lava in Hawaii but did not hike down to get close to it—but amazing pictures!

The hike kicked my butt…but so glad I went. Hawaii is another beautiful place. I went on another brutal hike in Maui, but the end result was a wonderful waterfall not a volcano.

2. I’ve featured your picture there – linked to your blog, I hope that will support your work!

3. Wow!!! That is an experience I would give anything to have in my lifetime. I have always been so fascinated by volcanoes, earthquakes, and other natural phenomena! Fantastic photos TBM 🙂

If you go on this hike, start training. It was much more strenuous than I anticipated and I was out of shape. But it was worth it. I don’t know what it looks like after the eruption. I’ve been in earthquakes, but not very close to the epicenters or large ones.

WOW! These are great shots. Thank you dear TBM, with my love, nia

5. Wow!!! That is awesome!!!! Could you feel the heat?? I would love to someday see something like this!!!! (Preferably far from an eruption!!!) 😉 **

Yes! I could feel the heat. As we got closer and closer it got hotter and hotter. Once we reached the top, my feet were quite warm. If you had a walking stick and stuck it below the rocks you could see smoke.

And no, I wouldn’t want to be there during an eruption!

6. kahyehm says:

I envy your travels! But I thank you for sharing it, its like we’re travelling with you!

7. What an amazing hike that must have been and the photos you took included here are wonderful! Such great memories!

8. buddhafulkat says:

What an awesome experience – truly special pictures!

9. thirdeyemom says:

I am so jealous! This must have been amazing! Did you need security guards when you hiked it?

I didn’t see any security guards. We hiked in a group with two guides and they said it was one of the safer hikes in the area. I have heard that other areas will have security guards. Mostly we saw a lot of tourists and locals taking in the sights.

• thirdeyemom says:

Cool! There was hardly a soul on my hike which freaked me out. My friend in Antigua told me about the need for guards so that is why I was curious. But if you saw lots of other climbers there is a safety in numbers, right. Ah,,,this one is on my list!!!

Not having other hikers would freak me out. I really liked Antigua. I remember reading on the US State Department’s website that the security guards can’t always be trusted. But who knows. We didn’t run into any trouble during our stay, however I think it is wise to always be aware of your surroundings and to follow the news before you travel to any place.

I hope you can hike Pacaya at some point. It was amazing.

10. When we visited Costa Rica, we saw lava running down the side of Arenal at night. I will never forget it. But we couldn’t get up close to see it like you could! It must have been amazing.

11. Madhu says:

Wow! That is spectacular! Have never seen a live volcano up close like this!

12. Nandini says:

So great that you could see it! Great photos. 🙂

13. Lynne Ayers says:

Awe inspiring – nature at work

Cool shot! Cool experience! But very, very HOT! I didn’t get that close to hot lava in Hawaii.

I was really surprised by how close we got. There wasn’t a railing or anything to block people from tumbling into the lava. Of course, I would hope common sense would be enough…but you never know.

15. Cee Neuner says:

Awesome. If I were young I’d study volcanos!

16. Incredible – what an experience! The closest I´ve got to anything (vaguely) similar was the hot geysers in Rotorua!

17. Kristina says:

You have experienced so many things!! That’s so cool! 🙂

18. Oh dear. All the while i thought it was the molten lava chocolate cake from Chili’s! Sooo wrong. 🙂

19. dadirri7 says:

wow, amazing to photograph molten lava, thanks for sharing these images!

20. Gilly Gee says:

Wow what an experience!

21. zelmare says:

Exciting! Awesome! 🙂

22. The Hook says:

Who needs the Discovery Channel when I have you?

23. Jackie Cangro says:

An incredible experience! Did you have the urge to reach out and touch it?
    When I was visiting Iceland we went to the geysers that are bubbling and boiling right from underground. It was all I could do not to test out the water even though there were warning signs posted.

I had zero desire to touch it since just being near it was so hot. I really want to go to Iceland. We had a trip planned last year and then we found out we were moving so it has been put on hold. Now I know to check out the geysers. Thanks!

• Jackie Cangro says:

I hope you get to Iceland soon. The landscape is stunning at every turn. For a photographer like you, you won’t want to put down your camera. I think my favorite spot was watching the puffins on the bird cliffs. Hard to get to, but worth the trip!

24. pagesofjulia says:

Now THAT is scary. I’m glad I’m looking back through your pictures – such a treat. Keep ’em coming!