Mistborn Groupread, Part 3

It is Wednesday folks and that means it is time for the third discussion on Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.  This group read is led by Carl and Grace has been kind enough to provide the questions for this week.

Please note that there will be spoilers.  If you want to follow all the discussions please visit this page.  Let the fun begin!

1.  During the past week there’s been a lot of speculation as to the quotes at the beginning of each chapter.  Now that we finally know the answer, does it change anyone’s opinions of the Lord Ruler?

I hadn’t really formed an opinion of the Lord Ruler.  I was starting to wonder if he really existed.  From the quotes it seems that he did at some point.  I’m still questioning if he really has lived for so long or is there some type of sham going on.  Is there a long line of Lord Rulers?

The quotes I think attempt to show that the original Lord Ruler struggled in the beginning and may have been a semi-decent man.  This leads me to wonder what went wrong when he assumed power.  Why the incessant need to control the masses by destroying everything they knew and forcing them to believe in the Lord Ruler and his form of religion or way of life.

2.  What did you think of Elend’s group of subversive nobles?  Do you think that Kelsier is right to dismiss people who could be potential allies, or is this another case of his anti-nobility biases showing?

My gut is telling me that Sanderson is leading us directly into a trap.  But I haven’t figured out what the trap is.  I know he is amazing at plot twists.  Is he trying to convince Vin to trust Elend so she will betray Kelsier?  Or is he maintaining Kelsier’s character so he will be the downfall of the group?  How’s that for not answering the question at all.

And most of the nobles seem content to studying the issue and not taking real action.   Would they be willing to set the books aside and become men of action?  I’m sorry, I don’t seem to be answering the question at all but adding more questions.

3.  What’s your favorite part of the book so far?

I really enjoy the interactions with Vin and Elend.  Even though the nobleman is a spoiled brat I think he has some type of depth.  How could I not love a character who does his research while at a ball?  The balls that Vin attends are quite revealing.  They show that Kelsier is mostly right, many of the nobles don’t give a dang about the skaa.  Some of the actions and comments are quite callous.  However, Sanderson is starting to let us in a little and is showing us that not all of them are hopeless…or so it seems.  I’m becoming like Vin and not trusting of Sanderson’s motives at all.  I feel he has a big surprise in store for us.  The anticipation is killing me.

4.  Now that Kelsier’s plan has hit some major stumbling blocks, what do you think will happen next?  Do you think he can still succeed in defeating the Lord Ruler?

The group’s employer is now gone so I can’t wait to see how Kelsier keeps the crew together.  Not many of them thought they would succeed and this latest turn of events demonstrates how difficult the task is…and with terrible consequences. But I’ve said in the past, I love cheering on the underdogs.  So I would like them to give it a good go.  And if the Lord Ruler captured any informants, Kelsier and his group may be ratted out.  Will the Lord Ruler start to hunt them down and force the crew to kill him and overthrow the government in order to survive?

Bonus:  For anyone who has read “The Way of Kings,” were you surprised at all to see Hoid pop up?  What do you think of his role here?

I’m going to be completely honest.  If I hadn’t read in one of Grace’s reviews that Hoid popped up in a different Sanderson novel I may not have noticed.  My memory is not so good.  Given this, I have no clue as to his role.  Is he some type of messenger?

Next week Lynn will provide the questions.  It is raining today in London so I’m think this will be a great day to snuggle on the couch and read part four.

This entry was posted in Books and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Mistborn Groupread, Part 3

1. cobbies69 says:

I enjoy your site well enough that I have nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award… for more info please follow my link and enjoy… thanks…

2. Grace says:

Ooooooh… if there’s a scam of Lord Rulers, that would mean the Steel Inquisitors were really in charge, which might in fact be scarier than the Lord Ruler. It would make sense then that the “Lord Ruler” would go with the skaa/nobility system, because it would preserve order without the Lord Ruler having to physically do anything. That idea has some great potential!

I’m curious how Kelsier is going to adapt his plan now that he no longer has an army.

I’ve been wondering if the Steel Inquisitors are really in charge. They are terrifying folk. And it would make for a good plot twist. But given my history with TWOK, I probably am way off and Sanderson has an even better twist!

Losing the army was a huge thing I think. They spent months building it up and they still risk getting caught. I’m curious to see how this will play out.

• Grace says:

That or the Inquisitors are guarding what’s left of the Lord Ruler, who is more machine than man now… lol. I’m so curious where Sanderson is going to take this story!

That reminded me of the creepy image of Seldon on some of the book covers.

• Or perhaps they are all clones of the first Lord Ruler and the mysterious room has a whole stack of developing embryos – yikes!

• Naithin says:

The suggestion that the Lord Ruler doesn’t exist at all is indeed an interesting one! I had wondered in an earlier part’s post whether or not TLR was actually the one in charge or not, but didn’t quite take it far enough to call his existence into question!

Interesting idea, that’s for sure. 🙂

I’m wondering if that is the reason why we haven’t met him yet. I also think you may be right, that he isn’t in charge anymore and is a puppet. I feel there has to be some big reason why he is hidden. Kelsier said he met him, but can he say it is the same man who lived 1000 years ago?

3. nrlymrtl says:

I know what you mean about Sanderson’s gift of the unexpected plot-twist. I am not sure where this rollercoaster is going, but I sure am enjoying the ride.

I am glad that Sanderson is taking the time to make the nobles human (bad or good or mixed) so that we don’t have that unsung villain to vanquish. If we’re going to take down an Empire, I want faces and names and hobbies to go with the empirical banner.

The ride is fun…and I love speculating with all of you about what may or may not happen next. This novel is perfect for a group read.

And yes, I’m glad the nobility is getting some attention, good or bad. You have to know your enemy!

4. Michael says:

So do you think the Lord Ruler is akin to the Dread Pirate Roberts from The Princess Bride? That could be very interesting….

5. Adam says:

The ball sections in this book are really interesting, and they also serve about 12 different purposes at once, which is always a good thing for a scene to do.

It’s really interesting to see everyone’s thoughts about the Lord Ruler, you’ve all come up with quite a few very interesting theories about what’s going on with him.

Hoid in this book was an informant, in Way of Kings he was one of the storytellers. His biggest section in WoK was at the very end where he serves as a prophet for what is to come.

I love the ball scenes because on the surface, not much is going on. But I am having fun trying to figure out what the characters are actually doing and saying. There are some great interactions.

You have to be chuckling to yourself hearing our theories.

• Adam says:

I’m enjoying hearing about them, you’ve all come up with a lot of different things that I don’t think I ever considered when reading the books. The hardest part has been commenting on them without saying where you’re right and where you’re wrong.

6. Carl V. says:

If Kelsier hadn’t said that he had seen the Lord Ruler I too would suspect that he no longer existed. And in some ways I do have some doubts about whether the current “Lord Ruler” is the one that has always been. It all goes back to that secret room and to the mystery about how this person could possibly be immortal since all the rest of the “magic” in this book seems to follow some plausible (in a fantasy sense) rules and we have yet to see anything that indicates that immortality would be possible.

It will be interesting to see what Elend and/or the other nobles do. In some ways I started to wonder if he is the kind of character you see in the film Ever After, where the noble actually has the beginnings of fairness in him and just needs someone to help push him into action or is he just an all-talk, no action person. Or somewhere in between.

I am suspecting that Elend might end up being a wedge between Kelsier and Vin and I’m not sure how I feel about that entirely, given that I’m feeling conflicted about how quickly Sanderson had Vin fall for Elend. I keep wondering if the quickness was just a product of this being one of his earlier books or if he intended it exactly to go this way. It just doesn’t ring true enough with me given what we were led to believe about the tough life Vin has led. She seems to be trusting Elend way too quickly for me.

I’m with you in that I don’t trust anything we’ve seen thus far. Part of that is just because of previous experience reading Sanderson and part of it is knowing that we have two more books in this trilogy and because of that we are bound to get many more twists and turns and unexpected things.

I guess I’m not too trusting since I know Kelsier said he met the Lord Ruler, but did he meet the original? I can’t wait to get inside the secret room!!! I need to know and I need to know now.

Young love can cause some issues and encourage teens to make rash decisions. We’ve already seen this with Vin when she confronted Elend about having relations with a skaa woman. So I think he will come between Vin and Kelsier. Teenage angst…I remember the days and never want to go back 🙂

He is the master of leading me down one path and then introducing a new one. I love it.

• Carl V. says:

I don’t know if it is because of other books I’ve read or films I’ve seen or both, but I am having a really hard time at this point trusting that the current Lord Ruler, if there is one, is actually an immortal being. I keep thinking that there is a ruse there somewhere.

I’m with you on that Carl…it seems too convenient to claim to be immortal. Perform some fake miracles and get the people to believe in you…I have a hard time trusting in this.

Happy reading! It’s a good way to spend a rainy day.

8. lynnsbooks says:

Ha ha, I love your answer to No.2!
    Actually reading your answers made me start thinking over about Elend – he was rather careless leaving some of his books on the table at the ball. Part of me wonders is he just really chaotic and absorbed in other things or is all of this some sort of dangerous distraction and he’s almost hoping that somebody will catch him out. It was a pretty dangerous thing to do wasn’t it! Maybe, though, he’s just incredibly naive. After all most of the nobles have led pretty sheltered lives – and he wanted to bring Vin into his little gathering even though he knows next to nothing about her – very trusting indeed.
    There are so many mysteries going on and so much speculation it’s making me dizzy!
    Lynn:D

I feel that each time I try to answer one of the questions, ten more pop into my head. You have to give it to Sanderson, he is a master of mystery.

I think Elend likes to live on the edge, his way. He isn’t like Kelsier and actually doing something, but he is making a big show of himself at the balls to get back at his dad and I think Lady Shan. He can be such a spoiled brat sometimes. A rich, spoiled brat. I was surprised that he contemplated bringing Vin into his inner circle. Both Vin and Elend are super trusting of each other. Ah true love when you are 16. I can’t wait to continue my reading tonight!

• lynnsbooks says:

I wish, having read your comments (because it hadn’t occured to me previously) that Elend had thought of the unwanted attention that would descend upon Vin due to his seeming to like her. If he had been a bit more circumspect perhaps Vin would not have drawn the unwanted attention of his previously betrothed (or at least not quite so quickly)
        Lynn:D

I do think though that Elend wanted Shan to notice Vin and his attention towards her. He likes to stir problems, which is why I think Kelsier is right in not accepting him into the fold. He should try to use him, but not trust him. He’s a rich boy with too much time on his hands to cause mischief. Saying that, I still like him.

9. Amanda says:

I love all the contrast at the balls! Between the fun interactions between Vin and Elend and the cold, calculating actions of Shan, and the way the minor nobles all try to save face in front of each other, and lastly that poor skaa boy killed on the lawn…we’re just seeing so many different kinds of people. I think it helps make them all not so black and white.

I cringed when the poor skaa boy was killed. And no one but Vin “noticed.” What a horrible society. He just wanted food. This scene was really telling. Most slave owners wouldn’t kill a slave since that would cost them money. But in this world, that doesn’t seem to be the case. That makes me cheer for the rebellion even more. However, like you said, the ball scenes aren’t so black and white. I want to learn more about Lady Shan. I don’t like her, but I think she has some clue for us.

• lynnsbooks says:

what I really hated about the scene with the skaa boy was that he was killed by somebody who was skaa! And, just the way he did it, like he was batting something undesirable away!
        Lynn 😀

It turned my stomach…such a horrible action and to be done in such a callous way. I don’t get it.

• Grace says:

Yeah… that scene with the skaa being killed was very telling. I think it cemented for Vin the fact that there was more to the nobles than their genteel exterior. Until that point she was starting to sympathize with them and believe them incapable of the atrocities Kelsier attributed to them.

I agree Grace…this event really opened her eyes…and mine. And it made me mad as heck. Who can harm anyone, but a child?

10. The Hook says:

Cool share! Fantasy tales rock!