Travel Photo of the Day (April 26)

Yesterday I posted a photo that I took during a visit to Hammond Castle in Massachusetts.  Cindy has requested more photos and since she is such a nice person I couldn’t refuse.  And I love requests.  I thought the place was beautiful, but it felt odd to wander around a castle in along the East Coast.

This entry was posted in Travel Photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Travel Photo of the Day (April 26)

1. wolke205 says:

That s truly a beautiful place 🙂

2. mac says:

This looks great!

3. Oh it’s just lovely TBM – just like I imagined. Thank you! Now you have given me an idea for a post about a famous castle in Toronto. 🙂

4. orples says:

I love ‘real’ castles with the intricate stonework and that midevil feeling of knights and kings. We had a home built of real stone here in Chester, Virginia, that had evidently stood for many a year, and would have no doubt stood for many years to come. Of course, some developer bought the land, leveled the beautiful old home, and built a retirement community in it’s place. I hope Hammond Castle at least gets the privledge of standing for a couple of hundred years. It looks like it was built to last…unless of course, a developer sees a more profitable venture to be had. From that one photo (except the left side, which does not reveal a lot), it looks like the closest thing I’ve seen to a real castle in the United States. Biltmore Mansion comes close, but none of our huge estates (from those I’ve seen) have that real ‘castle’ feel to them. This one has potential from that wall, especially the way the trees have been planted to spread across the lower wall. Nice photo. 🙂

Thanks! I’m so sorry to hear about the castle in Chester. That is horrible. I hate seeing pieces of history being destroyed by developers. I know retirement communities are needed but do they have to level a castle to make room? It looks like Hammond is going to stay, however I haven’t followed it too closely since I visited last year. I hope it doesn’t suffer the Chester castle fate.

• orples says:

Thank you for the condolences on our old stone home. I cried when they tore it down because it was so beautiful, so unique, and would have probably stood until long after we are all dead and gone, if left alone. It was not a castle, but rather a house, probably around 3 or 4,000 sq. ft. Still, it was worthy of it’s plot of ground. The builders should have renovated it and built behind it, using it a focal point on their property.

That would have been better!

Nice photo! I like the stonework.

Beautiful place… And wonderful photograph… Thank you dear TBM, with my love, nia

Thanks Nia…it was a fun place to wander around. Not only to see the castle but it is right next to the ocean. Such a beautiful spot.

7. Valentina says:

I would love to pin it on my Pinterest, with your link if you don’t mind.

8. I love beautiful old architecture. Nice.

9. Nandini says:

Beautiful photo, TBM. Loved the colors here, soothing… 🙂

10. I love looking at photos like this. So history rich. I have awarded your blog the 7 X 7 Blog Award, check it out!

11. T.F.Walsh says:

Very nice image… I love old ruins..:) I missed your photos.. I have a lot catch up on:)

That is very kind of you to say TF. I missed your posts as well…I’ve been learning so much about mythical creatures. I’m glad you enjoyed your trip.

12. vuitrenbanphim says:

wow so relax

13. The Hook says:

Very “Game of Thrones”! I love it!

14. Anita S says:

Excellent pictures. Yes, I would have a hard time believing I was still in the United States.

15. Madhu says:

Gorgeous photo! A castle in the US!

16. Pingback: Crooked Castle | photos from the loonybin

17. Myra GB says:

I love this photo. Makes me imagine what it must have looked like in its full glory several years back. Thanks for sharing this photo.