Mistborn Group Read, Part 4

Yes!  It is time to discuss the next section of Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.  For the past several weeks we have been reading and talking about this novel and it just keeps getting better and better.  I highly recommend this book!

Carl is hosting the group read.  Lynn was kind enough to supply the questions for this week.  If you would like to follow all of the discussions please visit this page.  And please note that there are spoilers.

1.       Well, we finally got our long awaited view of the Lord Ruler, firstly just a brief glimpse during the executions and then during the fight with Kelsier.  What do you now think about him and the myth’s surrounding him?  And, given his strength do you think he can be beaten?

All along I’ve been thinking that the Lord Ruler is just a fake and that there was no way he could live that long.  When we first got a glimpse during the executions I kept thinking, “don’t back down, he’s a fraud.”  Then when he fought with Kelsier I started to think that maybe I was just being stubborn and hated to be wrong.  His powers and strength were much greater than I imagined and I think there might be something to the man.  There is a very good reason why the nobles and skaa fear him…he’s one scary dude.

As for the question do I think he can be beaten?  Well, I have a little confession.  After finishing the reading for this week I could not put the book down.  I had been so good for all of the other readings but after the fight with Kelsier I could stop…I tried for about a second and then gave in.  Okay, it may have been a nanosecond.  So I won’t answer this question out of respect for my fellow members of the group read.

2.       What was your reaction to Kelsier’s response to finding Marsh dead?  I can’t help feeling that there are going to be some serious economic repercussions to destroying the crystals – what sort of impact do you think this will have, not just on the nobles but on the Skaa?

I’m a firm believer that every action has a reaction.  At the time when he was destroying the crystals I was cheering him on.  I liked Marsh and when I found out he was brutally murdered I also wanted vengeance.  And I respected Kelsier and his actions.  He knows how valuable Atium is to him and to others and yet he was willing to get rid of it to hurt those in power.

Yet, I have a feeling that the Atium was important for other reasons.  Why else keep the Pits so secret and such.  Does Atium have any connection to Deepness.  Did he doom everyone, not just the Lord Ruler?

3.       Finally, each week we learn a little bit more of the Lord Ruler’s history.  And each week it has a different impact.  This week’s snippets had the same impact – I was really interested in the excerpt when he mentions that the Darkness is not as oppressive when higher up in the mountains – do you have any more ideas about the Darkness?

I do enjoy these little snippets since I like mysteries.  Scooby-Doo was one of my favorite shows as a kid and I still enjoy solving mysteries.  Saying this, I still have no idea about the Deepness. Apparently I did not learn enough sleuthing skills from all those years of watching my favorite dog detective.  Does it have to do with the Mists and Ash?  Is the Deepness connected to the Lord Ruler and his powers?  Is Old Man Withers the Lord Ruler?

4.     I was wondering about Elend and Vin – they’ve also had their ups and downs this week but seem determined to work round them – can you see anything of a future for these two or is there too much history between the nobles and Skaa and too much difference and prejudice between the two?

I’m a hopeless romantic so I always think that there is a chance (when it comes to books—I may be more realistic in real life).  And seriously, this is the perfect way to get even with his dad for tricking him into having relations with a skaa woman and the consequences.  However, I don’t think this is reason enough to have a relationship.  When he went to the executions to save Vin he made me wonder that there just might be hope and that he really cares for her.  It took bravery, with a hint of naiveté, to try to intervene.

Next week is the final discussion for this novel and seriously people, I can’t wait.  After this I will be participating in a group read of Neverwhere.  And then there will be group reads for the next two books in the Mistborn series.  I may have to hide those books so I don’t crack and start reading them too soon.  It took a lot of will power last night not to start on book two…I don’t know if this strength will last…I want to know what happens next!

This entry was posted in Books and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Mistborn Group Read, Part 4

1. Naithin says:

I’m with you on the Atium being important. All sorts of fallout is likely going to come from the action of destroying it, and I think some of it is going to land squarely upon the shoulders of the Skaa.

All the same, like you, I was cheering Kelsier on while he was doing it!

It seems that almost everything falls onto the shoulders of the Skaa…they really got the short end of the stick. I’m very curious to see what the consequences are! It was hard not to cheer on Kelsier…losing Marsh was yet another blow for the poor man. Yes he was arrogant, but he did survive a lot. Everyone has a breaking point.

• Grace says:

Mhm. I was rooting for Kelsier as he destroyed the Pits. It was glorious. I think Kelsier was the right man to do it, too, because he knows Atium from both sides. He uses it in his Allomancy, but he also knows its human cost.

Hi Grace. Yes only Kelsier could have destroyed the Pits…It was kinda like he was the only one who deserved to after what he experienced and survived there. I know other skaa worked there, but he was the “Survivor.”

• The atrium worries me as well: it must be very important to the Lord Ruler, otherwise he wouldn’t be so interested in its collection.

2. Amanda says:

They both saved each other, even after knowing the other betrayed them. That’s why I have hope for their relationship.

It was too difficult NOT to keep reading after this section!!

Good point that they both saved each other. And yes, I admire the ones who were able to stop when we were supposed to stop. I was weak and wanted to know what happened!

3. Adam says:

A nanosecond? There’s no stopping at the end of this section, it’s just not possible. Sanderson has a bad habit of writing books where I read the last 200+ pages in a single sitting because I don’t want to put them down, which often keeps me up way later than I should be. He’s evil that way.

Marsh was a lot like Kelsier in many ways, cold, calculating, and willing to do whatever he needed to do to get the job done. It was really upsetting to see him get killed like he was. I think Kelsier had been thinking about destroying the pits for some time, and Marsh dying was what finally knocked him over the edge into actually doing it.

Last summer I read The Way of Kings and I was getting ready to move. The night I finished that book I had a dinner with some friends to say goodbye before moving to London. Briefly I considered skipping the dinner since I was almost done with the book. Not very nice of me, but his books are so good. After the dinner I went home and devoured it. I couldn’t stop with this one either.

Marsh and Kelsier are alike in many ways. I never even considered that Kelsier would destroy the Pits. Thinking back it seems more obvious but still I was shocked. Now I want to know what the destruction will mean for everyone. It will be hard not to pick up the next book before the group read begins. I’ll try to be good.

• lynnsbooks says:

I feel bad – I stopped at the end of the chapters – and I think I’m the only one who did so! What’s wrong with me!!!!! Seriously, I couldn’t read ahead – my brain would have just taken over and spoiled everything.
      Lynn 😀

Nothing is wrong with you. You are stronger than all of us. We are the weak ones. I know when I was writing the questions I didn’t dare read ahead since I didn’t want any thoughts to spoil the fun for the group. You got one of the most exciting sections. I remember thinking I was glad I didn’t have this week since I wouldn’t have been able to stop and then I would never be able to co-host again 🙂

4. I can’t read these posts as I am planning on reading this during the summer, but I am sure it was a very good blog today…

5. nrlymrtl says:

I like your correlation to Scooby Doo!
    I’m a romantic too, and I do hope there is some future for Elend and Vin. I hope she has to rescue him again – the look of surprise would be priceless!

Thanks…I really love that cartoon 🙂

It will be interesting to see what happens between Elend and Vin. I love against all odds type of stories, including romance. And Vin has had such a rough life, a little love might be what the doctor ordered.

6. Michael says:

Be strong, my friend, be strong!

I, on the other hand, may be weak and just start reading book two!

And I wouldn’t blame you one bit! I wanted to start right when I finished the first. May is going to be a long month.

• lynnsbooks says:

Nnnnnooooooooooo!!!!!! Step away from the book! Come on, you can do this thing. Put the book down, really, I’m serious! Don’t make us come over there. LOL
      Lynn 😀

If you come over, will you bring chocolate. I’m kinda depressed that Kelsier is dead 🙂 I may need a lot of comfort food.

7. Charlotte C. says:

I’m a romantic too, and I want so badly for Vin and Elend to have a future. I would like to know that Vin will finally be able to show love for someone and be able to finally trust without worrying about being betrayed.

I think there is potential for Vin to open up more. I think it was in the previous section when she felt comfortable around the crew and started to feel more like a member and not an outsider. Of course, Sanderson wants to torture her (and the readers) with twists and turns so only time will tell. They kinda remind me of Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. They only remind me of it a little bit, but the thought makes me chuckle.

8. lynnsbooks says:

I loved your answers this week they made me giggle. Scooby Doo, Hopeless romantic – enough questions of your own to make the Spanish Inquisition look tame. Really funny.
    Laughter over – I’m still sulking massively about Kelsier. I hate the Lord Ruler with a passion! Elend’s father is a muppet and, I still can’t believe Kel is dead. The fight scene with the Inquisitor was pretty awesome though – I only wish we could have had an Indiana Jones moment at the end. Just when he’d killed the Inquisitor and was turning around, all exhausted, and the Lord Ruler walked up – I just wish he could have had a gun and shot him. That’s all I’m saying (Yes, I realise that probably wouldn’t work *sighs*).
    Rooby Rooby Roo!!
    Until next week.
    Lynn 😀

Oh the Indiana Jones moment would have been awesome…but no, Sanderson had other ideas. And that is to make us sad. I never thought Kelsier would die in the first book. It will take some time getting used to that.

And Elend’s father turned out to be a rat. No wonder Elend spent so much time trying to piss him off. I just thought that Elend was a spoiled brat, but it seems like he had reason to act that way. He probably could have dealt with it better, but he is still quite young.

Willpower! You can do it! How great to anticipate a book so much.

It really is exciting…I’ll do my best to stay strong. I started David Copperfield last night and I’m loving it. That will be a great help.

10. Carl V. says:

I was pretty blown away by just how powerful TLR was and how quickly and effortlessly he dispatched Kelsier. I was shocked…stunned…

I too went on reading the rest of the book but as much as I am looking forward to our next group read I am actually going to enjoy the break. I don’t want to get burnt out by too much of a good thing, I like mixing other good things (books in this case) in so that it all remains fresh. I loved rushing on with the end of this book but am now glad I can step away from the story and just savor it for awhile before moving on to the next ‘chapter’ of the trilogy.

I too respect the decisions Kelsier made, even if some were made purely from emotional reasons and repercussions weren’t thought about. Then again Kelsier is as much a mystery in his death as he was throughout the story. It is hard to look back and think that I have any idea what was going on in that man’s head.

I loved Scooby Doo too, but hated Scrappy Doo. That ruined the show for me. I know I’m in the minority there. It is a “Han shot first” thing with me. Sorry I brought it up, lol!

I’m hoping there is happiness down the road for Vin and Elend. After Kelsier’s death though I’m not crossing my fingers or placing any bets! 🙂

You may have a point about letting the series rest a little before continuing. This way I can ponder all of the events and try to figure out what the Deepness is. I have no clue about it. And I’m pretty excited to finally read Gaiman with you. That has been a long time coming.

Kelsier: A man of mystery. I like the sound of that. This section just proves how brilliant Sanderson really is. At first I was thinking that Way of Kings was so much better, but now I don’t know. I’m just as hooked with this one, even with all of the eye rolling.

And yes, Scrappy Doo…really. Did they have to bring him into the show. I’m sorry for the Scrappy Doo fans, but come on. You don’t mess with Scooby Doo mojo. UGH! I need a Scooby snack.

11. Kristen M. says:

I have to say that it’s taking all of my willpower not to request the remaining two books from the library right now! The twists and turns and reveals have been awesome so far. Good people die but so do bad — and other good people make it despite the odds. It’s really compelling!

It really is compelling…and I already have the books sitting on my desk. But I am going to be strong and wait for the group. It is so much fun to read these novels with a bunch of people and to “sit around” and talk about them as we read. People bring up things that I never picked up on and it really enhances my experience.