Team GB Claim Their First Medal

Today I had the privilege to watch the Women’s Cycling Road Race. When I arrived right before the start the weather wasn’t cooperating and it was sprinkling off and on. That didn’t deter the riders. I live close to the starting line and one rider was starting to break away from the group.

Later in the day I claimed a good spot to watch the return of the riders. On my walk there the weather was pleasant. However, it started to sprinkle. Then I heard thunder. Soon it was really raining. When the riders flew by, it was pouring. Even though the weather wasn’t great, it was fun to see the race. In addition, Lizzie Armitstead won the silver, which is Great Britain’s first medal of the 2012 Olympics. That’s pretty cool.

I hope everyone is having an enjoyable time watching all of the events.

This entry was posted in Sports and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Team GB Claim Their First Medal

1. Beth Ann says:

Awesome pictures!!! I must admit I am a little jealous of you being THERE but hey—-you deserve it and what a time in history!!! Go USA and GB!!!! Hope you share more as the games continue for us who have to rely on the telly!

2. Valentina says:

Congratulations to Great Britain and Lizzie.

3. Bill Chance says:

Great story and photos. That would be so cool – to see an Olympic cycling event right outside where you live.

Thanks for sharing.

It was fun to walk through my neighborhood to watch the event, but it is even more fun since every one is in a festive mood and to see all of the visitors is pretty cool.

4. fgassette says:

CONGRATULATIONS! We have been glued to our TV. Watched a couple spills and was hoping Britain would win a metal. Love your on site up front photos. Keep up the good work.

BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!

Thanks Francine. We watched a fair bit of sports yesterday on the telly. I think for the next two weeks we will only watch the Olympics. It is such an amazing event and I love that people all over the world are glued to their TVs.

5. paulaacton says:

oh wow what an amazing experience we should have arranged yesterday for you to hold up a big sign so I could have watched for you on tv 😀 will the time trials be passing your way?

According to my neighborhood info, only the road race went by us. Ih’m not sure where the time trials will be. I think the next closest event to me is the Triathlon in Hyde Park, but that might be harder to witness. I’ll do my best. Then there is the marathon on Sunday.

• paulaacton says:

Gutted Paula Radcliffe is out of the marathon but would rather she pulled out than see her do badly

It was sad when I heard the news. I feel for her, all that training. I hope her foot recovers. A foot injury would be hard to compete with and I never like seeing an athlete push it too much and injure themselves further.

• paulaacton says:

from what I understand she is retiring but I would love to see her run London marathon one more time

Oh no…that is such a shame. Maybe she’ll surprise us.

6. We just finished watching that race on TV. Can’t believe how they just keep going through the pouring rain… pretty awesome.

7. cobbies69 says:

It was pretty awesome race and your pictures are also…;)

8. Northern Narratives says:

Great photos! We enjoyed watching the race on TV this morning. Congrats to GB for the first medal 🙂

9. Bike racing in the rain—that’s on par with running in heels. Quite the altheletes, those women, and yeah for GB!

10. scrapydo says:

Incredible! Thanks for sharing. It feels as if I am with you

11. mountainmae says:

Can you imagine riding that fast in a tight pack? And then add rain! Yeah for Britian’s medal!

I would have been terrified of wrecking in the rain. But I think that would be my fear anyway since they are so competitive and ride so close and fast.

12. pattisj says:

How cool that you can go watch some of the events! The athletes are amazing. When the weather threatened, I would have wanted to park my bike.

13. I was watching this race on tv. I couldn’t believe how hard it was raining. How great that you were able to watch in person. I saw all the spectators and wondered if they were bored – standing around for hours in the rain and then the riders pass in a flash. Good to know that it was as exciting to be there in person as to watch on tv.

Fortunately I live close by so I walked down to watch the start and then later in the day I went back to watch the finish. I noticed that some of the people camped out all day. It would have to get a little boring, at least where I watched since there isn’t much to look at.

What a great opportunity to see an event in person!

15. T.F.Walsh says:

How exciting to have watched the race.

16. zelmare says:

You are right there!!! I’m so jealous! No, not really, but it must be so very thrilling.

I am enjoying the Olympics, especially since SA had also won their first gold! Yay, Cameron for winning with a new record time! (Swimming) 😀

17. Hanna says:

Congratulation for the first silver medal. The cyclist lady did a great job!

18. aFrankAngle says:

The rain made it a tad slick or the riders .. . Nonetheless, hoping for many more medals for the home team.

19. Haven’t stopped watching the olympics since they started! Were the tickets expensive? or were you able to just watch road side? So exciting 🙂

This event was free. Some of the events are open to the public, such as the marathon. The ticket prices vary quite a bit. I was looking for some this morning but couldn’t justify spending so much–but I was looking for football, which is in demand. But some events are pretty cheap. They are releasing more I think since the seats aren’t that full.