The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

I have a confession. Until very recently, I had never read a book by Agatha Christie. I don’t know why. I never seemed to get around to her. After reading The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, I’m kicking myself for not reading her before. Let me say, I’m now a fan. A huge fan. Apparently I’m not alone. Not only have her works been translated into 103 languages, her novels have sold approximately four billion copies. How one of these copies didn’t land on my shelf earlier is a mystery.

The story isn’t that complicated. Roger Ackroyd knows too much. Someone in town has been blackmailing Mrs. Ferrars. After her death, Roger receives a letter she sent to him prior to her committing suicide naming her blackmailer. Why was Mrs. Ferrars being blackmailed? Because she killed her husband and got away with it. Well not completely since the blackmailer knew the truth.

Roger’s niece Flora asks the famed detective, Hercule Poirot, to solve the murder. Poirot had recently retired to the village. I mentioned that the story isn’t complicated. What I mean is, it appears that the murder of Roger Ackroyd, Mrs. Ferrars’s death, and the identity of the blackmailer are all tied together. If you solve one piece of the puzzle the rest will fall in line. Not complicated right? Now, add the list of suspects and that’s when things start to get interesting. It seems that everyone who was in the house the night of Roger’s murder has something to hide. Not even the parlourmaid is free from suspicion.

This cast of suspects makes for some fun plot twists. Each time I thought I figured out the mystery, Christie threw me another curveball. And I will admit that I was completely surprised by the ending. I didn’t see that one coming at all. Those who have read the book know what I’m talking about. Those who have not read the book, you should! This is a classic mystery that is a rollercoaster of a read. I couldn’t book the book down. Now I want to pick up all the rest of her works.

I read this book for R. I. P. and it’s on my 1001 list of books you must read before you die.

This entry was posted in Books and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

61 Responses to The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

1. Mona says:

I have never read her either. Based on your review, I think I will. Thanks.

I’ve read a lot of her books in my teens. And then abandoned her completely. Recently I thought I’d like to read one of her novels and got this one. Many say it’s her very best.
    I’m going on a brief holiday on Wednesday and might even take this for the plane.

3. deslily says:

ok I am sure you are not alone in that you never read Agatha Christie..I haven’t either! I find it difficult when I have seen so many of her books as movies…well, that and all the other books on my shelves lol.. I hope you have at least “seen” Murder on the Orient Express! lol

Oh Deslily I’m going to disappoint you since I have not seen it.

• Jo Bryant says:

Oh my…have you seen the cast in this ? How could you never have seen this classic wonderful film ???

Albert Finney … Hercule Poirot
        Rachel Roberts … Hildegarde Schmidt
        Wendy Hiller … Princess Dragomiroff
        Denis Quilley … Antonio (Tony) Foscarelli
        Colin Blakely … Cyrus B. “Dick” Hardman
        Jean-Pierre Cassel … Pierre Michel
        George Coulouris … Dr. Constantine

How in the world did I miss this one? It has everyone. It’s going on my rental list for sure. Thanks!

• Jo Bryant says:

It sure does,,,it is such a great film…Lauren Bacall rocks in it.

She is one of my faves–so beautiful!

• Jo Bryant says:

She is that. I love her movies…and hers and Bogie’s. I have such a crush on Bogie…always have and always will.

I’m a fan of Bogie as well!

• Jo Bryant says:

I watched Casablanca tonight with a girlfriend over dinner…he is so hot.

I watched that a couple of weeks ago. I don’t even know how many times I’ve seen it. It gets better and better. I like stars from this time period. They had class.

4. I’ve never read that particular book, but I have read others by Agatha Christie and loved them! It has been a long time though.

5. I love Agatha Christie. Just wonderful suspence.

6. Colline says:

I have enjoyed reading her books in the past – good stories with lovely twists and turns.

She does know how to keep the reader on their toes. At points I thought well it has to be so and so and then that would be blown out of the water.

7. I am a HUGE Agatha Christie fan is this is one the best!

8. Adam says:

Last summer I read 5 or 6 of the Poirot novels within about 2 months, and after going through that many of them that quickly they did start to become kind of formulaic. But it’s been a while, so maybe I’ll have to look this one up.

While Poirot is an interesting character, my favorite Agatha Christie book doesn’t have him. The first Christie book that I would suggest people read is And Then There Were None. I’ve read the book three or four times, and even knowing the ending it’s still a wonderful book to read.

9. Geoff W says:

I’ve only read Murder on the Orient Express and it was brilliant. I loved how deceptively simple the novel was and how quickly the read was. I feel like I should just spend a year reading only her novels 😀

Deceptively simple—that is a great way of describing her writing. I wonder if I could read all her novels in a year and not tire of them. That sounds like an interesting project. You should give it a go!

10. Grace says:

I read a lot of Agatha Christie novels when I was in high school (and by “a lot,” I mean every one that the library had). Perhaps I should come back to her at some point… 😀

11. I never read Agatha Christie because, like others, I thought it would be too predictable. I do enjoy the Miss Marple series on PBS, though. The guy who plays Poirot on TV kind of creeps me out. 🙂 May have to give her books a try now.

12. Anita S says:

Yep, this is one of Christie’s best. I have been a fan of hers since I stole my dad’s copy of Nemesis when I was a child.

13. I collected her books for many years and after I’d read them all several times I finally decided to put them out at our recent garage sale. We had very few customers that weekend and it got rather boring just sitting there so I started reading them again. By the time the sale ended there were no takers for dear old Agatha and in a way I was quite pleased. I brought them all inside and put them back on the shelf again!

That’s a great story. And I’m glad they are back on the shelf again. I have a hard time parting with books, but I know that they do add up.

14. Great story from a truly exceptional writer. I very much enjoyed this Poirot crime thriller which is one of my favorites. If you’re hunting for another great Poirot mystery with some incredible twists, Christie’s “Death on the Nile” is one that you might enjoy. Cheers.

15. Jo Bryant says:

OMG…never read Agatha. How is that even possible ??? I still have a box full of her books from when I was young. They are battered and dog-eared and I will NEVER – I say – NEVER – part with them. Other then TBs [of course], and Kevin Costner, Agatha Christie is the biggest love of my life. And she always peppers the books with clues that you miss and then think…ah-ha…of course he/she did it. You have to read some of her “Tuppence and Tommy” books [N or M is wonderful and so is Postern of Fate}. They are a couple who are spies in England for the War. Such unlikely but kewl spies. And Miss Marple [A Pocketful of Rye is the best}. I have not been able to bring myself to read the final Poirot book. I don’t think I could bear him dying…nope…definitely not.
    Death on the Nile is possibly my favourite, no maybe peril at End House, hmmm no maybe And Then There Were None [which I still have one of that when I bought it, it had another title actually…a very unPC one – Ten Little Niggers it was called back in the day]. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Then_There_Were_None

The world is now open to you – don’t waste another moment…read, read, read these wonderful books.
    Ummmmmmm…can you tell I am a fan ???
    😉
    😉

I can tell and I love it! I imagined you bursting with energy when you typed all of this. K, I’m on it. I’ll read as much as possible. The first book I requested has arrived at the library and I’ll pick it up in a few days. And it’s one of your faves, And Then There Were None. I would pick it up today, but it’s supposed to rain cats and dogs today and I’m finishing up a different book.

• Jo Bryant says:

You know that expression ‘don’t snap your caps’…I almost did writing the last comment. I can’t wait to hear what you think of it. She had such a great mind…yes she did follow a formula but it never made any of the books seem less for it. I am off to find that box now and delve back in to her world for a while…

Enjoy! I know I will.

I’ll have to check out some of her books! Thanks!

17. I love Agatha Christie’s books but that particular one I only read after our literature professor talked about it and said it was a classic because it has a special type of narrator. I won’t say more or I’ll give the game away.

18. I devoured Agatha Christie novels as a teenage, and Roger Ackroyd is my all time favorite. It’s been years since I read it, maybe it’s time to revisit it. Wonder how it would hold up already knowing the ending.

19. zelmare says:

I have read Agatha Christie…in high school! And that was many, many,many moons ago… 🙂

20. pattisj says:

I’ve been an Agatha Christie fan since I outgrew Nancy Drew mysteries. She certainly could make twists and turns in her plots.

21. lynnsbooks says:

I have read some Agatha but it was so long ago that I can’t even remember which ones! Eek. Maybe time for a revisit when the TBR allows (so in about 10 years!)
    Lynn 😀

22. Christina says:

Love Agatha Christie! I hope you enjoy discovering the rest of her work as much as I did!

23. Ariel says:

I read a bunch of her novels last summer for the cool down with AC challenge. I loved them! My two favorites are Endless night and Then There Were None. I think I prefer her stand alone novels to the Marple and Poirot ones but try them all. Even my least favorite Christie is still miles better than some of the stuff I have read lately.