Travel Photo of the Day (January 14)

It snowed in London today and I enjoyed watching it fall. However, I want a big snowstorm, like the one pictured here. This photo was taken in 2011 in Boston, Massachusetts. However, I think the guy in the photo would disagree with me. He doesn't look all that happy and I can't blame him. I only have to wander in snow, not clean up the mess.

It snowed in London today and I enjoyed watching it fall. However, I want a big snowstorm, like the one pictured here. This photo was taken in 2011 in Boston, Massachusetts. However, I think the guy in the photo would disagree with me. He doesn’t look all that happy and I can’t blame him. During this storm, I played in the snow, not clean up the mess. That looks like hard work. So I hope for snow that won’t put anyone out. Is that too much to wish for?Β

This entry was posted in Travel Photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to Travel Photo of the Day (January 14)

1. aFrankAngle says:

Be careful what you wish for! … A question, since your time in London, what has been the largest single-storm snowfall?

A couple of inches at most. Since moving here in September of 2011, this is my third snowstorm. And today it didn’t stick to the ground in my neighborhood. It was pretty to watch as it fell, but it disappeared once it his the pavement

2. Colline says:

Snow has its pros and cons (as does any type of weather). I like to focus on the positive and enjoy the occasion.

Oh dear TBM, you miss snow and Boston… I can almost understand you. I don’t want really snow like this… πŸ™‚ Thank you, have a nice snowy London week, love, nia

4. nrlymrtl says:

At work, I am a safety incident investigator, and whenever we have foul weather, someone usually slips and injures themselves. So, while I love snow and appreciate that it replenishes our water sources, I do cringe a bit at work. On the other hand, foul weather does ensure I will have something to do at work…..

5. bocafrau says:

I love the picture but I don’t miss the snow.

6. The only time that snow is good is if it keeps me from going to work LOL!!

7. wolke205 says:

I m so sick of snow – Diego is the only one who enjoys it… Too much work, way too cold..booo…but I agress – it looks nice πŸ˜‰

8. wolke205 says:

Please correct my comment – I meant agree lol

9. fgassette says:

A heavy snowfall is fun and beautiful but after a couple of days it is a lot of work to clean up.

BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!

10. We had a dusting of snow here this morning but it didn´t last long. Like you, love snow but hate the ice as I am very accident prone 😦

11. Kiwi says:

Everyone here complains about the snow a lot it seems.. but for me snow is so much fun! Coming from a place where it doesn’t snow, I’m only just experiencing all the fun snow related activities like sledding (went on Saturday!), prancing through the snow, eating snowflakes on my tongue… it’s so magical to feel like a child again!

I grew up in Southern California so I never experienced snow until I moved. And yes, I know what you mean. I still feel like a kid when it snows.

12. i’ve seen 3 -yes, i counted them lol- 3 snowflakes so far today, but they’ve predicted more snow or ice for later in the day. some of the nearby schools have already announced early closings. the ground is so warm and wet i doubt it’ll stick. snow is fine; it’s the ice that i don’t like

13. Wowza that is A LOT of snow! (And I’m Canadian!) All of our snow has melted over the past couple of days and we are back to green grass!! Expecting another cold spell, though and then back to the same conditions you’ve got…happy shoveling, my friend!

14. blade3colorado says:

Love the picture, but I know snow and it only looks great when you don’t have to move it or drive in it. Before I sold my mountain home in Colorado (Morrison), we had what was called the snow storm of the century in March 2003, where I had 8 feet of snow in my driveway. In short, I sold my home because severe weather means exponentially more attention to maintenance issues. Couple that with getting tired of moving snow from Point A to Point B, I sold it and downsized to a new condo in a retail/residential development . . . Consequently, when I go on vacation – I can disappear for weeks or months (as I am on this RTW trip) and not worry about blizzards or wildfire destroying my home.

We were lucky in Boston since we rented an apartment. Didn’t have to shovel or take care of leaks or other damage. If I owned a home I would probably feel much different about it. I used to live in Littleton Colorado and then lived in Fort Collins for many years. It’s a lovely state. Let’s hope they don’t have any fires this summer. Some of our friends were affected last year.

15. Geoff W says:

Yeah, we’ve got nothing so far. We had a white New Years with 4-6″ but that’s it so far. I’ll make sure to take pics if we get a good one πŸ˜€

16. zozokie says:

I love snow but not snowstorm.

17. IsobelandCat says:

I don’t want a big snowstorm!

wow…look at all that snow!
    how many degrees is it during snow storm like that?

That storm was over a foot of snow–it wasn’t your typical storm in Boston and most of us got the day off. That was rare where I worked. As for the temperature I can’t remember. It was probably in the 10s-20s (Fahrenheit) — but the part that is brutal is the wind chill factor. I walked around in this storm for about a half an hour and was cold by the time I went back in. My face hurt from the wind and blowing snow. You don’t want to expose body parts for too long during these storms.

• Novroz says:

I knew it you would mention the temp in Fahrenheit πŸ˜‰
        I have to convert it to Celsius first….my God that’s so cold!! I couldn’t even take 16 degrees celcius too long let alone that low.

I used to hate the cold, but now that’s the weather I prefer. My body has become intolerant to heat and humidity. I’m still trying to master the Celsius thing. Hopefully in a few years I’ll be better about it. So much to learn when you move–and I didn’t have to learn a new language. I admire people who move to a place where they don’t know the language. Very brave.

• Novroz says:

My friend, Ruth, has lived in Minnesota for about 16 years…when she came back to Jakarta, she always looked for air-conditioned rooms. So I understand how you feel about heat and humidity.
        Indonesia is really hot and humid and I am used to the weather…but to be honest, cold is better than hot πŸ˜‰

I feel with cold that you can bundle up and get warm, but when you are hot there isn’t too much to do–unless you can find air-conditioning. However, I have been in some situations when it’s so cold you can’t get warm and that isn’t fun either. Minnesota, from what I hear, has some brutal winters. That would be hard for me to get used to.

19. AussyDog says:

When I saw the picture I was surprised. I didn’t think that London could ever get that much snow. Then after reading and seeing it was Boston I completely understand.

So how many inches did London get then? Enough to build a snow fort and attack passers by with large catapulted snowballs of doom?!

LOL…not quite. None of the snow actually stuck to the ground. More snow is predicted for Sunday so maybe I still have a chance of launching large snowballs.

20. bebs1 says:

Only if I get to stay home and play out if I can.

21. petit4chocolatier says:

Your wish could come true πŸ™‚

22. Northern Narratives says:

Alll snow is good πŸ™‚

23. pattisj says:

If it stayed off the roads, and left a path to get from the door to the car/mailbox/whatever, wouldn’t that be wonderful? Oh, and off the car, too. πŸ˜‰

24. lynnsbooks says:

Apparently we’re going to have a similar outlook over the next couple of days – snowstorms, gale force winds, freezing cold temperatures and amber warnings already! Time to get your socks worn on the outside of your shoes!
    Lynn πŸ˜€

25. Hahah! I have only ever been to the snow once and it was very short lived.. approximately 5 minutes to be exact. I would also like a snow storm but it is extremely unlikely and possibly concerning if it happened in Sydney!