The Atlas Pub

In an attempt to recover from the holidays, which no matter how hard I try to keep expenses reasonable, they always seem to add up nevertheless, we have been sticking closer to home over the weekends. This limits our pub choices. A quick search on the web revealed that there was a pub that was so close to home I’m surprised I didn’t smell it. Okay, I may be exaggerating a tad. But I am disappointed by the fact that I didn’t discover it sooner.

The Atlas, located on Seagrave Road in Fulham is a gastro pub. I was pleased to see that005 they had Pilsner Urquell, a Czech beer that I fell in love with during my stay last December in Prague. When we walked into the pub it was packed. All of the tables were taken and there was limited standing room. This was a disappointment since I had planned on having dinner there. However, it was a Friday night and good pubs are usually crowded. We decided to have one beer and then find a different place to eat. Then something happened. While I stood at the bar for far longer than I would have liked, a table for two opened up. Yes!

006The better half did an excellent job of securing the table and I grabbed a couple of menus from the bartender. Dinner was on! I mentioned that this is a gastro pub so you can order linguine with crab, roast duck breast and stuffed onions, roast Pigeon salad, or wild rabbit with tomato, pancetta, and sage. This isn’t the whole menu, but I hope it gives you an idea. I decided for a more simple meal and ordered their mozzarella and slow roast tomato sandwich. I was not disappointed with my choice. The Focaccia bread was light, fluffy, and savory. The mozzarella was plentiful and the tomatoes and pesto added just the right amount of pizzazz. The roast potatoes on the side were simply divine.

While I enjoyed my beer, dinner, and atmosphere there are two aspects of the pub that 008aren’t that great. As I mentioned above, the service was a bit slow. Of course, I understand that it was extremely crowded that night and so I won’t dwell on it too much. The other aspect was the bathroom. One of the toilets was missing the seat. Actually the seat was accounted for. I found it bizarre that it was propped up against the wall. Are patrons supposed to pick it up, place it on the toilet, and then put it back on the floor when done? The only sink was not functioning properly and water was pooled on the floor.

If the bathroom situation was fixed completely I would rate this pub as a 4 out of 5. Based on my experience I have to give it a 3.5 or 3. 75. There is an outdoor area and I would like to go back on a warm summer afternoon to enjoy it. Right now, it is too chilly to venture outside even for pub research. Maybe by summer, the bathroom will be repaired.

This entry was posted in Weekly Pub and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to The Atlas Pub

1. petit4chocolatier says:

I love pubs! And good ones are really busy. I hope you do go back in the summer and update us. Public restrooms have a lot of wear and tear; understandably they break more. Sounds like a fun place above everything else 🙂

It is a fun place and I wouldn’t mind having another sandwich. I’m sure by the summer, the toilet seat will be back on–or at least I hope so. Having one toilet for women can cause problems.

2. Lucid Gypsy says:

Oh dear how silly of them to let themselves down with the loo!

3. aFrankAngle says:

Love your pub reviews! Being crowded is a goo sign, so I hope the toilet gets fixed!

4. “a put that was so close to home I’m surprised I didn’t smell it” – can you hear me laughing all the way over here?!?! The food sounds fabulous and even though I just finished my breakfast I am not starving again :). But the bathroom? That’s just nasty :(.

5. The Hook says:

Shortcomings aside, it sounds like a fun place to hang out and soak up some cool atmosphere!

6. Northern Narratives says:

It sounds like a good place and since it was crowded that’s a good sign. The next visit, I would head right to the bathroom to make sure it was fixed.

That’s a good plan. I know bathrooms get messy from all the people who act like animals it seems, but no toilet seat at all. That’s a new one for me.

7. The Hook says:

Check out today’s post on my blog for a much-deserved shout-out, buddy!

8. Jo Bryant says:

the food sounds amazing…bit wierd about the toilet seat though

I think it would be better if the removed the seat entirely and just put a sign up out of order. That wouldn’t bother me so much. Things break, I get that. But not attempting to fix it–weird.

9. That food sounds a lot better than the stuff we had in pubs over there. No toilet seat? Yikes.

10. It looks like a really nice place, except for the toilet thing.

11. sunbystar says:

I love this pub! And I have it special love because it was my first pub and pint when I move to UK!