Can anyone explain how a bike melts like this. I saw it on my walk the other day in London. Did someone torch it? And how did they prevent the fire or explosion from spreading?
The initial damage was likely caused by a bad battery/electrical short, and most of the damage was to combustible parts (upholstery, plastic, etc). Despite all action movies telling you otherwise, it’s pretty rare for gas tanks to explode into massive fireballs. It’s likely that the gas tank wasn’t in any real danger. =)
I have to wonder how much gas a little bike actually holds. I’m more surprised since most motorcycle parking areas are packed and lately people are using covers on their bikes that none of the others were damaged. When I walked by, there were other vehicles there. But I don’t know when this fired occurred. Hopefully there aren’t more victims and I hope the owner of this one had insurance and can replace it soon.
Wow. How does that even happen??
No clue. Many think electrical fire.
Wow, that’s crazy!
I didn’t expect to see it on my walk.
Oh my ……that is pretty incredible..I will be interesting in knowing the answer.
Me too, but not sure I’ll ever know.
It is sad. Losing transportation is never easy. Hopefully this person didn’t rely on it to get back and forth to work.
hmmmm–makes one ponder the possibilities
It would have been interesting to see how it all happened. Electrical fire seems to be the best guess.
yes, but it could have been Harry Potter
Yes, a misfired spell.
No idea. Certainly not due to recent weather…
That’s true. It has been quite cold. We didn’t get any snow last night. Did you?
Wow. definitely looks burned. Crazy…
Even the seat melted off.
I think they had those new batteries that they tried to use on the airplanes.
All I can say is YIKES!!
Poor little bike–deserved a better fate.
For most vehicles, a sudden, excessive impact is needed in order for the gas tank to explode. Most car fires are from some electrical issue that lights the combustibles on fire, which for whatever reason is not noticed, and continues to burn the vehicle into only so much twisted, tortured plastic and metal.
And it was parked in motorcycle parking with several other bikes that have covers on them. I’m glad the fire didn’t spread. How it wasn’t noticed since from my experience this area is always hopping. However, maybe it happened in the middle of the night.
My man once lit a plastic chair on fire (accidentally – there was a metal helmet and a candle involved) but the fire started well after folks were asleep (having left the candle going). We lived in a residential area at the time, burning chair on the front porch, and none of the neighbors noticed. Tho the housemate did when he finished his night shift and got home. He put it out by throwing the nearest dirt on it, from my flower bed.
Your poor flower bed. I’m surprised that a plastic chair would burn–but same thing here since a lot of it is plastic. Crazy that no one really noticed either incident–but goes to show how much happens at night unnoticed.
oh dear, it looks fatal … to the bike!
I hope it was insured.
Yeah not good. I wonder why it’s still on the street and not disposed of.
I’d say that the little scooter was traveling so fast that it nearly liquified itself. Those tiny 50-150cc engines can really propel a 120kg. human being to warp speeds.
That must have been a sight…must have been a pizza delivery at warp speed.
OMG – it looks like spontaneous combustion! May that little bike rest in peace!
I hope he’s in moped heaven scooting through the fields
My first thought exactly.
I bet the Human Torch flew by…
Wow… I wonder if anyone is going to collect it? I think the council will dispose of it…
I’m curious how long it will be there. I’ll check on my walk tomorrow to see if it has been removed.
wow…just like everyone here…I wonder what had happened
not sure I’ll ever find out. Some good theories have been provided, but don’t have an answer.
How awful for the owner. Interesting.
Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:
You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Twitter account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Facebook account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Google+ account. ( Log Out / Change )
Connecting to %s
Notify me of new comments via email.
Notify me of new posts via email.