Group Read of The Heat of the Day

I should have announced this earlier in the month but I wanted to pick up a copy of the book before saying I was participating in Caroline’s group read. Every time I set aside time to go to the library to get a copy of The Heat of the Day, by Elizabeth Bowen, something came up. Yesterday I finally made it and luckily one copy was left. According to their database a week ago, ten copies were available. Hopefully all of the people who checked out the novel will take part in Caroline’s event.

Here’s the description on the back of the book:

It is wartime London, and the carelessness of people with no future flows through the evening air. Stella discovers that her lover Robert is suspected of selling information to the enemy. Harrison, the British intelligence agent on his trail, wants to bargain—the price for his silence is Stella herself. Slowly, the flimsy structures of Stella’s life begin to break into pieces.

Well that sounds entertaining. According to the Los Angeles Times this is “Probably the most intelligent noir ever written … fills the reader’s heart with dread.”

If you can, get a copy and join us. Now I need to get busy so I can finish it by the end of the month.

This entry was posted in Blog, Blogging, Books and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Group Read of The Heat of the Day

1. The Guat says:

Sounds like you’ll be in deep. Our little Pi book club is coming along sorry for the delay … the flu really did suck … but I’m finally catching up. 🙂

Thanks so much for this post, TBM. I’m glad you found a copy. Oh, if only all of those would read along. I think there are a lot of people reading along who don’t have a blog and don’t leave comments. I suppose so because sometimes at the end of the year I get a few comments lie that. “I enjoyed your read along very much although…”. I don’t know why but in a way I think it’s nice to know. I had a friend reading along who liked it a lot but was too shy to leave comments.
    I suppose this should be a very good book. Maybe not an easy one though but so far all I have read by her was beautifully written.

Sorry I didn’t post it sooner. This month is flying by. It would be fun if the people in my neighborhood joined the group. Too bad I don’t know who they are. I need to start reading tonight. I’m really looking forward to this one. Then I might follow it up with Night Watch by Waters–just in case I don’t get enough wartime London.

3. LaVagabonde says:

I love good noir. Looking forward to your review.

4. Lucid Gypsy says:

What a brilliant idea 🙂

5. This sounds really good–I love that time period and that genre. No time for the readalong, but will probably add it to my TBR pile.

I read the first 50 pages last night. So far I’m enjoying it. Her writing style can be a bit rough at first–very formal. Once I settled in, everything was fine.

6. i see that some compare her to virginia woolf, and i like woolf. i checked out the reading list for the literature and war readalong, and i haven’t read a single one of them.

I haven’t looked at the rest of the books on the list. Caroline posts at the beginning of the month what the book is and then I check the library to see if there’s a copy. If there is, I join. Caroline is a wonderful host and blogger. I’m always happy to join in and to spread the word. If you can, read this one. I started it last night and I’m about 25% done already.

“..fills the reader’s heart with dread.” Hmmm…Sounds intriguing and “dreadful” at the same time. I’ll be looking forward to your review.