Travel Photo of the Day (August 6)

Christiania is a self-proclaimed autonomous neighborhood in Copenhagen, Denmark. Approximately 800 people reside there. If you are in the area I highly recommend visiting. I should say it wasn't the cleanest place I've ever been, but fascinating. Please note that in some areas photographs are not allowed and if you try to break the rules, the residents will say something. I was fascinated by all the artwork, including these buildings.

Christiania is a self-proclaimed autonomous neighborhood in Copenhagen, Denmark. Approximately 800 people reside there. If you are in the area I highly recommend visiting. I should say it wasn’t the cleanest place I’ve ever been, but captivating. Please note that in some areas photographs are not allowed and if you try to break the rules, the residents will say something. I was fascinated by all the artwork, including these buildings.

This entry was posted in Travel Photos and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Travel Photo of the Day (August 6)

1. Think I saw a documentary about this community – interesting!

2. This is amazing! I hope to one day have a travel blog of my own.

3. lynnsbooks says:

Wow, there’s a riot of colour going on there! Interesting.
    Lynn πŸ˜€

4. passporttorainbows says:

Wow. I’ve always wanted to do graffiti art but that’s not too welcome in the Philippines. This is an amazing picture.

They don’t allow it in some parts of the country?

• passporttorainbows says:

They don’t allow it in most parts of the country. If you wanna paint the wall, you have to own it. Are there specific artists allowed to do this in Denmark or is it open to everybody? πŸ™‚

This particular area is different from the rest of the city. They have claimed they don’t belong to the EU and the laws. They actually have a sign over the entrance saying that you are now leaving the EU and then when you exit they inform you that you are reentering the EU.

• passporttorainbows says:

Really? There’s the distinction. So in EU sanctioned places you can’t paint graffiti or you just can’t just take random pictures?

Well you see graffiti all over Europe. I think some projects are sponsored by governments and some are just done by artists. But this area is different since the people who took over the area declared they weren’t part of a government. You can’t take pictures in some parts since the are illegal activities taking place, such as drug use and those involved don’t want photographic evidence.

• passporttorainbows says:

Oh, that’s why. I get it now. So the declaration was not made by the government but rather people in the area. I thought it was more of a policy the govt propagates, similar to our situation here.

Yes, I’m still a little unclear as to how the people could take over a spot of land, but they did.

• passporttorainbows says:

It sounds similar to the NPA set-up here in the Philippines.

I haven’t heard of the NPA set-up. Will look into it.

5. passporttorainbows says:

Reblogged this on passport to rainbows and commented:
    Because I’ve always wanted to do graffiti art but I never really found the time or courage to do it, I’m reblogging this photo to remind myself to take a chance one day. That day will be when I have my own wall to cover and when I’m not too insecure about showing my work.

Here’s to all the confident artists who made this possible.

6. ARK says:

how did you manage to capture the photo of this? πŸ˜‰

7. bulldog says:

Why are you not allowed to take photos in certain areas.??

8. aFrankAngle says:

Seems like a throwback in time.

9. pattisj says:

That’s not something one sees much. I remember an old concrete support wall along one of the roads in the town where I grew up. College students were always “decorating” it, then it would be painted white again–only to have graffiti appear again come the weekend.

10. Madhu says:

Hadn’t heard of this place before. Reminds me of La Boca in Buenos Aires!

11. Vishy says:

Nice picture, TBM! Christiania looks like a fascinating place.

12. Very interesting! I’m going to have a layover in Copenhagen next month, but I don’t suppose it will be long enough to venture out and see this. I’ll just have to add this to my list and return someday. πŸ˜‰

How long is the layover? I don’t think I’ve ever ventured out of the airport during a layover. It’s either too short or I’m too tired to run around.

13. it’s interesting when a group of people get together and reject the outside world. all the color seems like an expression of hope that the color can reside inside as well. but they don’t seem to survive for long for some reason.