Come on Red Sox!

Before I begin, I would like to apologize to my New York readers. This isn’t personal, I promise. There’s always next year. For those who don’t know much about the rivalry between the Red Sox and the Yankees let me just say its epic. One of my buddies from Colorado refused to speak to me for days when he learned I was moving to Boston. He was from New York. He still hasn’t forgiven me and I no longer live in Beantown.

When I moved to Boston in 2006 I wasn’t a Red Sox fan. I didn’t hate them, but I wasn’t a follower. However, I love sports. So when The Better Half started taking me to the games I learned to like the team. After a couple of years in Boston I learned two things. First: there are no rules when driving. Seriously, they are crazy drivers. Five cars will line up at a red light and all of them will merge into two lines by the time they get through an intersection. Two: if you don’t support the Sox your life will be miserable. No matter where I went, people were talking about the team. At work, in the bars, bookstores, the chiropractor, and grocery stores … it goes on. You can’t escape Red Sox fans. Being a sports lover it wasn’t hard for me to become a member of the Red Sox nation. And to this day we still have fond memories of going to Fenway. We actually saw Clay Buchholz pitch a no-hitter in 2007.

Tonight is game six of the World Series. If the Sox win, they win the whole shebang. I hope they do. Currently I’m writing a novel and my main character is a raving Red Sox fan so I’ve been following this season closely for research. I will say I’m glad I won’t be in Boston this evening. Last time they won the Series I had to get a new windshield for my car. We lived next to Boston College and it got rowdy that night. If you live on Commonwealth Avenue near BC, I hope your car is safe.

I put together some photos of my trips to Fenway.

This entry was posted in Sports and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

79 Responses to Come on Red Sox!

1. Geoff W says:

You know I work less than a mile from Fenway. The fans are driving me nuts, but it is really exciting to be right here 🙂

I used to walk by Fenway on my way to work. I learned not to take the T on game nights until I got past the Fenway or St. Mary’s stop. Be safe tonight!

2. ‘Tis a whole strange world…

3. seasweetie says:

I lived with the lights of Fenway shining in my eyes when I lay in bed in college. But the only time I was in the park is now a vrry fuzzy memory of being in centrrfield in cocktail attire one night in a highly unauthorizrd visit. Fuzzy as it is, it’s still an excellent memory.

Ha! Did you go to BU? Sounds like a wonderful memory–not sure the next morning was fun, but sacrifices for memories.

• seasweetie says:

I did my first two years at BU before coming to Colorado to go to CU. Working my way through the alphabet. Fortunately , I have zero memory of the next morning.

probably a good thing you don’t remember the next morning. CU has a beautiful campus. I miss the Flatirons.

4. Rorybore says:

Would love to go to Fenway!
    Of course, we just have the one baseball team up here, so not much choice in who we are going to cheer for, but between you and me: I have definitely cheered for the Sox in the past. So I will be cheering for you tonight….and praying for the safety of all cars! 🙂

The Sox can use all the support they can get. For a long time we didn’t have a team in Colorado. Now they do, but I’m not sure how much support they get, which is a shame. And yes, I hope all the cars, people, and everything are safe tonight. It’s no fun waking up the next morning to find your windshield was bashed in.

5. Vishy says:

Nice to know about your baseball adventures, TBM. I don’t know much about baseball teams but I have read a little about the Yankees and the Red Sox in a book. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Hope you have fun following the game. Wonderful to know that the main character in your new novel is a Red Sox fan 🙂 Happy writing!

6. Hey! You know you are playing our St. Louis, MissouREE Cardinals!!!!

Yes! I’m sorry, no offense to Cardinals’ fans either. I wish both teams luck, I just happen to be pulling for one team in particular 😉 Is that how you pronounce Missouri? I need to remember that.

• Well southern Missouri pronounce it MissouRAH and us central peeps pronounce it MissouREE. I am wishing both teams luck too.

Ah, I need to know where I am when I pronounce the name. That’s a very useful tip! Of course I’ll need to work on my geography. I never know which direction I’m facing. I’m looking forward to a competitive game and good luck!

7. bulldog says:

The world of Baseball.. is one of those like our Currie Cup rugby, where friends become enemies for short periods of time… I think it’s wonderful…

8. I want to join the conversation but I have nothing to add–go Detroit Pistons–yes I do know that is not a baseball team, I am floundering here

I know how it feels to be a sport fans…tho I haven’t seen any of my favorites for real.
    I agree with bulldog, it’s fun to have an enemy for a little while and back as friends again after the series. I used to have that moment with my students as I supported Dallas Mavericks and he supported Miami Heats

I agree with both of you. It is fun and as long as it stays fun, sports can be wonderful. Some people take it too seriously, but I’ve never been that way. You must be excited now that the NBA season is starting up. We support Denver.

• Novroz says:

I don’t have TV in my room and our local TVStation only cares with football 😦 (they show almost all the leagues, from local leagues to French, Spain, England, etc)
        I am planning to use Cable if there’s still no NBA on TV

I used to have problems in the States getting football on the TV. Now that I’m in England that isn’t an issue at all. Good luck getting the NBA.

10. As a New Yorker, there is no way I would ever root for the Red Sox. Even if they were playing Adolf Hitler, I’d be torn.

Wow! I think that speaks volumes about the rivalry. Would you ever visit Boston? You can spit on the sidewalk outside of Fenway.

• I’ve visited once. In 1982.

Was it for work? You don’t sound happy about it 😉

• Nope. I went with my brother Axel for a day/night. We had an okay time, but the visit’s not very fresh in my head anymore. I recall watching Nastassja Kinski on Letterman in our hotel room. She was wearing her hair straight up in the air. Dave asked her if she suffered a fright. She seemed to hate Dave. We ate clam chowder in a bar that had excellent Heineken.

Wow, you remember quite a bit considering: Letterman, Kinski and her hair, clam chowder, and excellent Heineken. Do you like the Heineken bar at Flushing?

• Back in the day, I was very hot for her. I even had the Richard Avedon poster of her with the snake on my dorm room wall. This image:

It was not a hit with my three straight dipshit girl roommates, but 1982 was the era before lesbians were chic.

Milton and I have never been to the Heineken bar. We hate to leave Manhattan.

Yes, I remember that picture. I would freak out if I had to pose like that. Not a fan of snakes. It is a stunning picture.

You don’t leave Manhattan to watch tennis?

• I would, but the Open is sky high expensive. I’ve attended in years past when my income was better. Milton and I hope to one day get there, but until my fortunes change, I content myself with streaming the games. I even cut the cable earlier this year.

I totally get it. I live six stops away from Wimbledon, but haven’t been able to get tickets. Things are pretty expensive in London, but it may be on par with NY. I love London, but I don’t like the price tag that goes with it. We just moved to a really small flat. If you’re in the front room, turn sideways so you don’t bump into anything. Every time I shut our cable off it costs us more by going to the pub to watch sports. I keep it so we stay in more.

• I have the impression that London might be even more expensive than NYC. I pretty much know how to get a lot of bang out if my few bucks. NYC offers deals if you know how to search for them. Plus my sanctum sanctorum is rent stabilized. I’m like a barnacle to that apartment. I would sooner marry it than anyone who was ever my partner. We celebrated 30 years together last month. If I could I would have flown to Paris with my rathole.

rent stabilized. That would be a dream! Congrats on the 30 years! We were in NY last August and I was trying to figure out if he prices were comparable to London, but math is not my strong suit and trying to compare the dollar and pound while bar hopping was too much for me

• I would have just Googled the question. Back to snakes slithering over my own pelt: no way and never. But that picture was a huge turn on in 1982.

At the time, I didn’t have a cell phone. Another way we tried to save money. I caved last month and got one. I need it for the new neighborhood–just in case.

I agree about the picture 😉

• Do you have a smart phone or a dumb phone?

good question. I think my limited cell knowledge makes any phone a dumb phone. But I don’t have a “smart” one.

• I got a great deal from my usually extortionist cellphone carrier, Verizon, in July. For a $30 upgrade fee they let me have an iPhone for free and the contract is just a penny higher than what I was paying for my dumb phone i.e., $60 vs. $59.99. Of course I did argue the penny increase on principle. They wouldn’t budge. I’m very happy with this gadget.

I love that you argued for the penny.

• I couldn’t resist.

11. I don’t even know what to say…
    Can we talk about another sport? Soccer perhaps?

12. So, did you find a beard to wear in solidarity with the lads?

13. pattisj says:

I just got a text they wrapped it up tonight. Congratulations!

14. Yay, Boston! My husband hates the Yankees, so I have no choice there. 🙂

15. aFrankAngle says:

They did well … so congrats. When asked who did I want to win, I always answer the Reds … of course then I hear But they aren’t in it … to which I answer Then I don’t care. …. thus I probably saw about 3 or 4 innings total in this series.

16. The Guat says:

I was glad they won and thought about you for a bit and wondered if you watched the game. It was crazy over here with the pre-Halloween festivities but I’m glad Big Papi won it! Nice pictures. I’m sure you and Ben Affleck are ecstatic. 🙂