A long overdue hello

Hello!

It’s been ages since I last posted and a lot has happened. The biggest news is I moved to Dublin.

Before moving to The Emerald Isle, everyone who I had told about the upcoming move mentioned one  specific thing: The Irish are so friendly. I mean everyone claimed this. And I’m happy to report that this isn’t an exaggeration. Not only are they friendly, but they are extremely helpful. Once, while I  was waiting to cross the road, a woman pulled over in her car and asked if I was lost. I wasn’t, but was tired from exploring the city on foot. Luckily I wasn’t far from home.

Recently, we took a week off. Initially our goal was to do some serious sightseeing. However, leading up to our time off, we both came down with nasty colds that lingered. Instead of getting out and about too much, we spent the days leisurely strolling through Phoenix Park and finding pubs. Most days, we were back at the flat before 4 p.m. and we spent the evenings either reading or watching movies. It was a fantastic break.

Phoenix Park, established in 1662, is one of the largest enclosed urban parks in Europe. It’s south of the Liffey and is home a herd of Fallow Deer. Within the park are the residences for the President of Ireland and the ambassador of the United States.

Our favorite pub find was The Hole in the Wall, next to Phoenix Park. The name originates from a tradition of serving drinks through, you guessed it, a hole in the wall. It’s the longest pub in Dublin. When we popped in for a late lunch on a chilly day, there was a fire going. Both of us love pubs with a cozy fire, good beer, and tasty food. If you’re ever in the area, I highly recommend this one.

Well that’s enough about me. How have you been?

This entry was posted in Ireland and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to A long overdue hello

1. we are all well, so glad that you have both settled.

2. Colline says:

Looks like you have settled into a beautiful place for a while TB.

3. Tanya says:

I plan to visit Ireland one day. I’m fascinated by its scenery and from what I hear are the friendliest people on the planet. Long walks and cozy eateries are what we love, and your photos prove that Ireland is worth the trip. It’s on my bucket list. (We’re from New Jersey)

4. Darlene says:

Wow! I wondered what happened to you. It looks like you moved to a great place. I have never been to Ireland but every Irish person I have ever met (and there are many here in Spain) have been super friendly. All is well here, we have a dog now and I just published another book in the Amanda Travels series. So great to hear from you.

5. nice to hear from you again. just read a few reviews of your latest book and people are (on the whole) impressed. so happy for you!

6. Dan Traun says:

Ireland is such a beautiful place. My wife and I traveled there this last April. We traveled around the entire island in twelves days. That wasn’t enough time, but we really enjoyed ourselves and took in some amazing sights. I concur 100% – the people there are so incredible friendly; both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. If you are interested, check out my travel log thus far @ dantraun.com –>Destination/Travel–>Ireland. I am still working through all of my photos from the trip; hoping to finish up sometime this winter 🙂 Happy travels in Ireland. I wouldn’t mind retiring there.

7. Love the name “Hole in the Wall”. Sometimes the names are the best part when finding new pubs and restaurants :). Welcome back my friend!!

8. Welcome back 🙂 Glad to hear you’re liking your new home! How long are you going to stay in Dublin for?

9. Wondered where you’d gone. So did WP as you’d been erased from Reader. Thank goidness for goodreads 🙂 Used to drink at a pub called Hole in the Wall. Was v good.

10. Congratulations to you both on the move. It’s a beautiful City, so pleased for you!

11. Hi! So good to see you and to hear you’re all settled in. Love the tour of the park. So pretty, and I’d definitely visit the Hole in the Wall! 🙂

If you ever come to Dublin you’d be in heaven with the pubs and author stuff. This weekend is the Bram Stoker festival and they have signs all over that read #bitemedublin. I’m loving it!

12. Rorybore says:

Welcome back! What a gorgeous park. Can’t go wrong with a warm fire and cold beer!! 🙂

I’m on the hunt for pubs with roaring fires. The temperature isn’t too cold, but I don’t think the change in weather is that far away. Time to find cozy reading/drinking spots.

13. cupitonians says:

Congratulations on your big move. I hope you’ve found it to be everything a home should be! And welcome back, so happy to read you again!

Thanks! We’ve moved quite a bit, so we’re pros at settling into a new place and making it feel like ours. Hope all is well. Will pop over soon to say a proper hello.

14. Oh, you’re back. 🙂 How exciting you’ve moved to Ireland! I’m dying to see that area as one of my grandmothers came from County Kerry. Hope you’re doing well.

You should visit. They have many places that will help you trace your ancestors. Genealogy, I noticed, is big here. I think because of the famine and mass exodus.

It’s been a long while since I last visited your blog (or updated my blog). So you moved again 🙂

The place looks lovely

16. Valentina says:

A Hole In The Wall sounds like my kind of place. I visited Ireland long time ago and I loved it, especially people are so friendly, you are right. I will go back.